• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gov Planet Purchase Fayetville NC M1081

Shbennett1985

Hey Fellas, just bought this truck on gov planet. EUC is in process. Got a tow bar from Jim Henry in Albermarle and going to try to flat tow back to Carthage, about 39 miles. Pull axle shafts.

can anyone tell which relays I’ll need based on the photo below? Or do you see anything else in the ad I should prepare for?

also, would it be possible to go look at the truck before I go pick it up?

thanks
seth

Attachments

Last edited:

Ronmar

Hey Fellas, just bought this truck on gov planet. EUC is in process. Got a tow bar from Jim Henry in Albermarle and going to try to flat tow back to Carthage, about 39 miles. Pull axle shafts.

can anyone tell which relays I’ll need based on the photo below? Or do you see anything else in the add I should prepare for?

also, would it be possible to go look at the truck before I go pick it up?

thanks
seth
You cannot pull axle shafts on the front so the front hub ends, differential and driveshaft will be spinning when towed. I think pulling the rear axle shafts only makes sense with a wrecker tow that lifts the front wheels off of the ground. just go slow...

Not knowing the status of the driveshafts and transfer case, I would plan on pulling the ujoints at both axles and suspending/tying the driveshafts up for the tow so only the axles are turning... the gearing in the center diff and transfer case are fixed so I would not want to spin them unless I was sure of proper lubrication

looks like one of the taillights isn’t secured, might want to pull that so you don’t loose it on the trip home.

the power panel pic isn’t very good, so hard to make a call on relays.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will not have access to the truck until your EUC clears. Sit back and relax for a few months while you wait. I'm up here in Seagrove with several parts trucks so let me know if you need anything.

Just plan on having a tiger tool and an impact to pull the driveshafts front and rear. Otherwise a slow speed tow is in your future. You won't be able to work on it in the yard so plan to get it home first.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like they just did a front cover-you will need to check the air compressor/power steering pump mounting and consider the drive shafts suspect as they don't look to have been replaced. Those are the two leading causes of the front cover cracking (the only reason it was replaced most likely.

Other than that looks like a pretty clean truck

FloridaAKM

The drivers window is almost always missing on the M-1081 trucks. You got lucky & got the turret cover. After you get it home, post what you find about it....good & bad.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The drivers window is almost always missing on the M-1081 trucks. You got lucky & got the turret cover. After you get it home, post what you find about it....good & bad.
So, I haven't been around the block enough times apparently.
The turret cover I kinda understand.

A missing drivers window is because why?

Phoenix77

So, I haven't been around the block enough times apparently.
The turret cover I kinda understand.

A missing drivers window is because why?
Heck, a driver's DOOR is nice...

The cabs tilt up and forward for PMCS. Drivers tend to forget to latch their doors, so they slam open, often shattering glass and / or dislocating doors.

Additionally, M1081s have bifold doors, so unless the window is completely down, someone releasing the latches that hold the top part vertical with a wholly or partially up window will destroy the window.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Heck, a driver's DOOR is nice...

The cabs tilt up and forward for PMCS. Drivers tend to forget to latch their doors, so they slam open, often shattering glass and / or dislocating doors.

Additionally, M1081s have bifold doors, so unless the window is completely down, someone releasing the latches that hold the top part vertical with a wholly or partially up window will destroy the window.
Interesting. Would seem that problem would be the responsibility of the steering wheel holder.
If he or she can't operate a door correctly, maybe they can be taught to operate a shovel on latrine duty?

Phoenix77

Agreed, but there are only so many latrines, and the trucks didn't drive themselves.

I'm just glad this issue didn't manifest on say, Patriot Missile Launchers...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks