• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

governer operating shaft problem

tractorpuller1

My Deuce has a big idling problem. When I first bought it, it first went from 900 to 1000 idle rpms when stopped on a hill. When I stepped on it hard accidentally, while working on the low air buzzer, it went to 1500 rpms at idle. I pulled on the throttle rod towards the radiator, and it went forward with a pop. I started it and have 400 rpms. Shut it down. Stepped on the accelerator to the floor, and have 900 rpms when I started it back up. I checked the lock bolt on the governor lever to make sure the lever was not slipping on the governor shaft. However when I pulled the throttle rod forward again, it slipped again. Now I cannot start it. The governor lever is so far forward now, I don't think the engine is getting any fuel.

The governor shaft feels like it is ratcheting inside the IP. Is it toast, or is it a small adjustment to tighten inside? How much for a rebuilt IP? Can I do it, or do I take it to a diesel repair shop?:lost:

tractorpuller1

I fixed it!
It was the pendulum looking thing behind the governor lever. It was a bit loose and slipped. I removed the high speed screw, tightened it up and reset the high speed screw. I then started the engine and reset the idle. It idles at 850 now. I'll take it out for a test run tomorrow.
Thanks, but I am not lost any more!

Standing down from panic mode...
:beer:

Last edited:

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have issues with my governer where if the truck is facing down hill it will idle faster and if it is facing up hill, it will idle slower...the difference is maybe 300 or 400 rpm from up hill and down hill. the only thing i can figure is that the cab is moving back a little and pullin the throttle a little? anybody ever experice this? all my linkage seems fine and it is hitting the idle stop ok... im confused.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
yea, i wouldnt think the cab would shift either, but i was just brain storming. even if it did, it shouldnt matter that much because the linkage would move some and the throttle pedal would move up and down a little.

Tractorpuller, what did you do to the throttle speed stop plate that fixed your problem? I appriecate the picture by the way.

tractorpuller1

All I did was take the adjustment cover off. (Had to snip the keeper wire.)
Then I had to pull out the high speed adjustment screw.
Then I disconnected the throttle linkage from the governor lever.
Next I pulled the lever all the way back and tied it there.
That brought the allen bolt head holding the speed plate to where I could get a wrench on it.
I loosened the bolt, and moved the adjustment plate to the center again.
I tightened the allen bolt again, very tight.
Replaced high speed set screw and reset high speed per engine TM.
Then replaced the adjustment cover and retied wire on keeper bolt.
Now it runs better than it ever did.
Just came back from working it at my Dad's farm today, baling hay.rofl

Attachments

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know this is an old thread but i took a look ( back in August) at my throttle stop plate and everything looks ok. I dont understand th epart about moving the adjustment plate to the center again. everything seemed tight from what i could tell. the pendilum thing you talk about is the part that the throttle stop screws hit, correct? do you have any picture that better shows what you did? its just wierd how it idles different pointing up hill and down hill. It drives me nuts because i cant visually see whats going on in my head and i dont know where the slop is in the throttle. the problem is definately in the IP though.

tractorpuller1

I also found, after chasing snow mobiles around my Dad's farm, that the cab does move.
The linkage from the gas pedal had no spring at the end. It just had cotter pins. I grabbed some air going after the snow mobiles and when I came down, all the delicate adjustments I made to the throttle lever moved. I attribute this to the cab moving under stress. I changed the end of the throttle rod to have a spring to take care of the extra movement in harsh conditions. Now it is just like the pictures in the TM.
Could that be your problem?

Larry

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i dont think its a cab movement problem... i wouldnt think it would be because the throttle spring always pulls the arm on the IP forward (back to idle). if the cab did move a little, it would just make the throttle pedal move a little bit to make up the difference in the cab movement. i think its in the IP. i have to check out that throttle plate again, but if anybody has more pictures of this operation to fix it, i would really appriecate it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks