• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Government Oil testing on CUCVs

stationjj

I am a new CUCV owner. I bought a 84 M1009 in May.

As a new owner I try to read articles on CUCVs. I sometimes learn something new or hear something I question.

Well I read something the other day that I wasn't sure about. It wasn't on this site or other K5 Blazer sites.

I read where the government does oil testing on CUCV etc. If the oil test show certain markers they will get rid of said vehicle. The oil testing can tell them of a suspected up coming engine failure, and such.

I find this BS. What are these test? How accurate are these tests? I figured if anyone knew the reals facts it would be someone on SS.

Thanks,

stationjj

Skinny

Pretty common on diesel OTR and other trucks that are relied on to make money and cannot afford to be taken out of service.

At minimum, cutting the filter open to see what is in there is good practice once and a while. This is part of a normal oil change on aircraft because engine failure makes for cool landings...

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While in the Air Force we tested the oil in jet aircraft after every flight. It was called "Joap Teasting" by the NDI lab.
It used to be called SOAP testing.

Yeah, I'm old. We used to call long distance phone Autovon too, now it's DSN. The CBPO office isn't anymore either...

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
It used to be called SOAP testing.

Yeah, I'm old. We used to call long distance phone Autovon too, now it's DSN. The CBPO office isn't anymore either...
Shoot...I don't remember what we called it but I know we did the samples frequently the short time I was in Mechanized Infantry (M113s).

The rest of the time I didn't have to worry about it cause we didn't have ANY vehicles!:roll: