• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GovLiqidation goodies?!?! Check out these listings!

Dieselsmoke

Looks like an M151 wheel to me.

Monster Man said:
in regards to this wheel in the M36 auction:

I see it's not your typical wheel. What's the story? Are all riveted wheels like that? I've seen a 10 ton tractor with wheels very similar to that (smaller, circular holes versus off-ovals), but obviously larger with a different bolt pattern, listed as "non standard". Just curious what you find those on.

Deuce-bigalo

SixBuy said:
Speaking of shipping... Has anyone had any experience with motor freighting a whole M35 from GL? I've been told the going rate is about $1 to $1.50 per mile. I've been looking at trucks far enough away that shipping costs are about equal to the travel and make ready costs. And I'm really not too keen on taking an unknown entity on the road for 1500 miles! Any thoughts?

Also, is there a reliable way to assess the condition of a truck from across the country? Again, the cost to preview may well equal the cost to fix some problems.
Well, does that $1 to $1.50 a mile flat rate - or is there a loading charge, otherwise known as a hook fee? I know some on towing as I used to work w/ a company that ran alot of Lowboys OTR and even if there was a milage fee, they would get them on the loading and securing time. Hourly usually and these guys weren't fast on purpose. I know that it's tricky and some companies can be brutal on hidden fees.

Just food for thought!

John

Monster Man

look in Military Vehicles Magazine and ask around for those that specialize in hauling military and classic vehicles. There are several well respected haulers, and those not so respected. I'd venture to say any standard tow company will put the screws to you, that's just my personal opinion. I got billed $185 to haul a truck for one block! and I was forced into it by the cops when I really could have recovered it myself. It's all a racket, you just gotta find the ones with references. From them I was told average $1-1.50, that's with fees and whatnot.

Now, also keep in mind that's for a lowboy, which are much more expensive than your standard 48" height. You just need to come up with a loading ramp to save some big $$$$ assuming you can drive the deuce off after it's unloaded

SixBuy

D-b and MM,
Y'all are right on with the ideas! Get's complicated in a hurry. Back on 2/28, Cten mentioned something about paying the $$ for an inspection service? Any clues what that might be? So let's see - Auction + 10% buyer's premium + loading fees + transit mileage + state tax + unloading... And then we can see if it'll start! Gotta be a better way!

Maybe there ought to be a thread on how to buy from GL and still get a kiss...

Deuce-bigalo

SixBuy said:
D-b and MM,
Y'all are right on with the ideas! Get's complicated in a hurry. Back on 2/28, Cten mentioned something about paying the $$ for an inspection service? Any clues what that might be? So let's see - Auction + 10% buyer's premium + loading fees + transit mileage + state tax + unloading... And then we can see if it'll start! Gotta be a better way!

Maybe there ought to be a thread on how to buy from GL and still get a kiss...

MODERATOR! :smilewinkgrin: LOL - I think that would be a great idea. For those of us who are interested in dealing with GL - do a what to do & what not to do. Also, if anyone has information about specific locations that has equipment, and they KNOW FIRSTHAND that things disappear off vehicles, this location is prominant for rusty trucks, etc. it would be a HUGE help!

I second that motion Sixbuy! [thumbzup] [^] [thumbzup] :yeah:

John

jeepthrills

When I bought Mine, I went to the GL site, got it running (cause the freight co. wanted another 200 bucks for a inop vehicle) I was able to get it running according to my now "sticky" inspection list. Drove it up onto the semi-trailer, and it cost me about $1.00 per mile. Vandenberg AFB to Flagstaff $750.00.

Just my [2cents]

Deuce-bigalo

jeepthrills said:
When I bought Mine, I went to the GL site, got it running (cause the freight co. wanted another 200 bucks for a inop vehicle) I was able to get it running according to my now "sticky" inspection list. Drove it up onto the semi-trailer, and it cost me about $1.00 per mile. Vandenberg AFB to Flagstaff $750.00.

Just my /DotNetForum/emoticons/icon_smile_2cents.gif
Well, do you think it was easier to have it hauled than to drive it. Sounds like it would have been about the same amount of money either way. Who did you use to ship your deuce?

John

da_sgt

Sorry for the double post,I put this under the "84 M35" by mistake :blush: Been spending so much green on the green my heads spinning :freaked: Anyway........

When my EUC is approved, I will trailer the truck myself. Its only a 300 mile trip, but you never know what can go wrong. I would have to drive something there anyway, so I'll just haul a trailer ;-) I can do 75mph+ down the road so it'll be faster and I don't have to worry about the "check List" [^] Save on fuel also [thumbzup]

cten

This is a question that everyone has.

I really think that the decision to haul, drive or airlift all depends on the following circumstances: distance, aggravation and knowledge of the M35. How much money you have to burn on this project, how is your physical condition and how well your marriage is.

For myself it was 610 miles, no real true knowledge of the M35 and what if I get stuck or breakdown on the return trip.

It was worth the $1,000.00 to have her hauled back.

But because GL was so quick to approve my EUC I had to pay a different trucking company than the one I scheduled to haul it back for an extra $500.00.

This may sound like a lot of $$$, but it was better than loosing the truck and 25% for defaulting.

Hope this helps in prospective purchasers make this hard decision.

Regards,

cten

Oh, the other thing is the title and registration.

I do not know what the state regulations are for where you reside.

But most states the vehicle needs to be 25 yrs old to get antique plates.

Massachusetts where I'm located you have to carry a commercial private plate(not for hire).

This is because the vehicle has over 5 wheels and if being used for hire and is over 10,000 #'s you need to have a medical card.

Good Luck!

Deuce-bigalo

cten said:
This is a question that everyone has.

I really think that the decision to haul, drive or airlift all depends on the following circumstances: distance, aggravation and knowledge of the M35. How much money you have to burn on this project, how is your physical condition and how well your marriage is.

For myself it was 610 miles, no real true knowledge of the M35 and what if I get stuck or breakdown on the return trip.

It was worth the $1,000.00 to have her hauled back.

But because GL was so quick to approve my EUC I had to pay a different trucking company than the one I scheduled to haul it back for an extra $500.00.

This may sound like a lot of $$$, but it was better than loosing the truck and 25% for defaulting.

Hope this helps in prospective purchasers make this hard decision.

Regards,

Ok, well did you have an EUC in the past??? I think your the first person who has said they got the EUC faster than they expected!! Did you grease someone over at GL for a fast process time? :nono: OR Did you offer them free coffee for a week, with doughnuts?? :shocked: LOL - naw, seriously though - how fast did you get your EUC and how long were you anticipating!?

Who did you end up using for the company to haul your deuce?

John

cten

Bid closed on the Friday before Thanksgiving Nov 19th and I sent the EUC information in within 1 hour of the aution closing.

I was told that it could take 2-3 months for the approval as I did not have a new EUC prior to a certain date.

I did call to see if they did get the fax I sent the following Wednesday as the website did not have the receipt of the EUC posted.

After about one week nothing had been entered as of yet or forwarded to Trade Security for approval.

I did call GL and state that I was purchasing this for a Scout unit which I was and we were located in the great Northeast and need to get this to NE before the snow started.

I was as patient as I could possible be with the boys asking me every couple of days as to when the truck would arrive.

I started to get concerned after 2 weeks and called GL to ensure the process was moving.

I also called the DRMO Dec 13th and asked some questions there and ended up with a very helpful lady.

Funny thing is after about 2-3days after speaking with the DRMO the EUC was approved Dec17.

My trucker was there on Dec 20th at noon to pick something else up, but we did not know that the EUC was approved Until Monday the Dec 20 around 4pm due to the weekend and posting time of the GL website. Ray Patton Trucking.

I then had to find a different hauling company JRT trucking (484-357-4893) because GL was now putting me under the presure of getting the vehicle out of the yard by the 14th of Jan or they would consider the truck abandoned property and I would forfeit my 25% and the truck.

Flew down to VA to meet GL site manager and George who would be hauling the truck back to help him out in loading on Jan 4 and the truck was in the driveway on Friday Jan 7th.

This cost me $500.00 more but the trucking company was very helpful and reasonable priced.

Other than the slight pressure to get the truck out of GL possession and the extra $500.00 the entire transaction I thought went pretty smooth considering dealing with the goverment and all the other horror stories I had heard about GL.

I did try to keep an open dialog with the GL site manager and explained to him prior to bidding what I was attempting to do and corresponded through email an average of 2 twice a week to ask question etc...

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deuce-bigalo

Yes, cten it does help! I was under the impression I would be looking at LEAST 30 days to get the EUC. I have to plan accordingly with finances and all. Your experience definately helps me understand the process and give me hope that GL will be tollerable to do business with!

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks