• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GovPlanet HMMWV without serial number

sail78385

Looking at scooping this up but have no experience with HMMWV or those without serial numbers or data plates? Anyone bought one missing the data tag? I see a few past auctions with trucks missing the tags. Just feel like the information has got to be on the SF-97?

If anyone has any first hand experience I’d love to hear it.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Depending on your state, DMV can make a new plate. They can actually make a 17 digit plate if you handle it correctly, depending on where you live. There are several YouTube videos on how to do this when you do not have a serial number. Usually this has to do with people buying restoration projects and putting aftermarket bodies on them, however if you save all your receipts and go to the DMV, and you live in a state like Tennessee, this can be a very easy process.

Thunderbirds

Looking at scooping this up but have no experience with HMMWV or those without serial numbers or data plates? Anyone bought one missing the data tag? I see a few past auctions with trucks missing the tags. Just feel like the information has got to be on the SF-97?

If anyone has any first hand experience I’d love to hear it.

If all else fails, you can always use or sell the truck as a farm truck (like a tractor or implement), banned to stay on the owners' property. The question that comes up is how much money to sink into it to make it usable for that...

I wonder if others could chime in about engine serial numbers or such things?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are allot of pitfalls out there at GP
They have a "basic" M1097 for sale listed as a 1998 right now but if you look at the data plate it is clearly a 1993, whomever buys that truck would be well advised to get that fixed before the SF97 is issued or it will be a nightmare.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If all else fails, you can always use or sell the truck as a farm truck (like a tractor or implement), banned to stay on the owners' property. The question that comes up is how much money to sink into it to make it usable for that...

I wonder if others could chime in about engine serial numbers or such things?
Only the number on the data plate identifies a HMMWV, no other numbers mean anything, there is a production number but I doubt AMG would provide any info even if they did keep up with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks