• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GP card help from an NC member?

NCH18

I've got an m1009 that I bought 6 months ago and have slowly been putting right The last thing still bugging me is the glow plug module/controller card. I have to hold the box it at just the right angle when I turn the key to get the relay to click and it can take me 5-10 tries at different angles to get it to work. Everything else works correctly, the wait light comes on, temp sensor works fine when it's warm, etc.

So I could just get a new GP control card but I'm not sure whether the problem is a bad card or a faulty connection with the blue wire in the harness. I was wondering if it might be possible to borrow a known working card for an hour or two from someone in central NC? I'm in Cedar Grove so anywhere from Burlington to RDU would be good. I can leave some collateral or cash with you while I have it. Ideally I could just drive the truck over and pop it in but then it'll be warm and there will be no way to test it. So I'll probably need to bring the card home, test the truck, and then bring it back over.

If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. If anyone can help me diagnose my symptoms on here that would be even better.

Thanks!! [thumbzup]

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Start cheap first. Pull the card and use a pencil eraser on the board leads to clean. Hose everything down with contact cleaner. (Board and the harness connector plug) I'd also dab a bit of dialectric grease on the board edge as well to prevent corrosion. Might be something as simple as that.

I just know that the boards in both of the CUCV's I've owned had crud on them. The M1008 had a bad board that I had to replace. But all of them haven't been clean. Just nature of the beast I suppose.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1st Sarge sells them pretty reasonably. I bought one despite the fact that mine work fine. Having a spare isn't a bad thing.

NCH18

Thanks guys.

I did try cleaning the card with an eraser and putting on bulb grease originally. Will try contact cleaner though and get after the harness a bit.

Is it possible for a card to go bad in only one of its functions and still do all its other stuff right? The card has no visible damage and is surprisingly clean.

Thanks for the heads up on 1st sarge, will be in touch if I decide it's the card. Not in a financial position to buy just in case or keep spares around at the moment unfortunately.

Alright, off to clean, thanks again for the tips.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you perform the test procedures for the GP system that are outlined in the TM?

NCH18

Yes I had all kinds of GP issues which I narrowed down to this last snag via the TM. According to the TM procedure, the card is bad, but the fact that it sometimes works leaves me betting on a bad connection b/w card and blue wire. I cleaned it today and messed with it some and if I push in the blue wire from the back so that the metal lead is jammed a little deeper into the harness, it works very consistently. Will pull the wire, tighten the lead so it holds snugger, and go from there. Think I've got things figured out, thank for yalls help.

1stSarge

The connectors in the back of the housing do cause a lot of problems, especially with the temperature sensor circuits and the ground circuits.

Many times they are bent/twisted or dirty/corroded.

You can remove the connectors, and repair and clean them individually. You will need a couple of very small flat screwdrivers or the equivalent, to release the locking tabs on each connector.

First unlock the secondary locking tabs on the back upper portion of the housing, they just unsnap by pulling up on them. Then insert the two screwdrivers on the top and bottom of each of the terminals from the front (open end of the housing). This will release the locking tabs. They are on the top and the bottom.

As you are holding the tabs in the released position, pull the wire out from the back.

Seems complicated to explain, but once you get the first one out, you will see that it is a breeze.

Inspect and clean each terminal, make sure they are not bent and are shiny clean. Squeeze them together to tighten where they contact the board (once you have them out you will see where this is) then re-insert them making sure that the locking tabs click into place.

I have the terminals if yours are really bad.

NCH18

That's awesome info 1stSarge.

I've been trying to figure out the correct way to pull the wires without messing anything up for a while, thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks