• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GP controller bypass mod performed

PJL

So the M1008 wouldn't start last night. Had to be pushed back to it's parking area. Had a peek at it today. Starter was stuck. I smacked it with a hammer a few times and got it to turn over. I checked the batteries and both are good and able to provide about 900 amps CCA. Yeah I know it needs an overhaul. The root of the problem seems to be hard to start warm. I warmed it up and sure enough won't restart. I pulled the temp sensor and it ran the glow plugs. Started right up. But with the sensor out of the circuit the GP's stay on. So I decided to do the bypass mod and leave the controller in as it works fine for cold starts. Wired in the push button where the radio isn't and it fires right up after a 10 second GP burn. So, what I am wondering is what problem am I masking by running GP's to start a warm engine?

tstone

I had this happen on my 1008. My problem was a worn IP; after the IP fuel bowl warmed up in about 1/2 hour, I noticed that it was difficult to start when warm. When operating it after a few weeks I lost acceleration due to lower compressibility (bypassing of the fuel around the plunger) of the fuel as it became thinner when warm. I had the IP rebuilt and everything was back to normal.

tstone

In the situation with my vehicle the GP's wouldn't activate because the engine was already hot; I would guess that whatever fuel that you were getting injected into your was pre-combustion chamber more easily ignited due to the GP's. I guess that you were manually activating your GP's?

Hasdrubal

I have a manual GP push button set-up. One summer, I noticed it was no longer just firing at the turn of the key when parked for short periods of time. Had to engage glow plugs. Come Fall, the answer was apparent, no heat in cab. Thermostat had failed and engine was always running cool.

PJL

That's a good tip, I had not considered the thermostat. When we got the truck the radiator was rotted and what little coolant was left in it was like Alabama mud. Took forever to flush clear. The engine seems cool to the touch even after running awhile. Thermostat is an easy fix.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks