• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GP push button modification

leisman7

Thinking about doing the push button gp modification, from looking at forums i see that people have done this mod a few different ways some people have taped into the gp card and others have by passed the card. What are the pros and cons of both ways?

Last edited:

scrambled

I tapped into the blue wire just outside of the card holder. The button is gounded through the steel dash plate under the column. I still use the card, but have the button as back up. The best of both worlds.

Travis

1stSarge

I think my position is known.:)

Decreased life of the glow plugs.
Decreased service life of the engine.
Less diagnostic capability.
Increased emissions of hydrocarbons.
Increased unburned fuel as white smoke.
High danger of damaging glow plugs if an over-voltage occurs.
Louder, rougher engine operation.
Decreased power.
Increased fuel consumption.
Slower engine warm up.
Lubricating oil contamination, resulting in accelerated engine wear.

Attachments

Last edited:

NCBloodhound

Thank you guys. If you do the push button mod where you tap into the card, will the push button be defective if the card fails?
I'm not trying to sound like a jerk because I am new to CUCVs and MVs myself, but isn't that the point of the push button mod is to bypass the card if it fails?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the controller card does is to provide a ground for the Glowpug Relay to energize under certain conditions. The blue wire does this. By tapping into the blue wire you are just providing a second path for the ground.

This has been discussed many, many times.

Nothing new.

japickar

I ran the wire from the terminal on the relay that the blue wire is attached to. The only reason I did this was to keep the original harness in tact. Either way is really easy. It was about a 20 minute job, and 10 minutes of that was trying to drill a hole in the dash for my button using my crappy drill bits.

Hasdrubal

It's my understanding that the AC60's required a longer burn time than the stock card system provides as its set up for the older style quicker heating plugs. Thats why I went to a push button manual glow 6 years ago. It would start rough if I fired it up when the wait light went out. I give it twice the time that the wait light shows, starts great, I also after glow, especially in cold weather. You can hear the engine quiet down when doing this. So I must differ with all the negative comments against this system. Correct me if I'm wrong.

DIESELGREEN

another question... I have mine set up stock, all the way it's supposed to be. Just being proactive, as I am with many other things on my oh8, I want to replace the glow plugs. I've installed a pushbutton SOLELY as a backup means of activating my glow plugs. now, that said, with the stock card and relay, should I go with the wellman 070's or the AC60G's?

M1008driver

should I go with the wellman 070's or the AC60G's
I went with the 60g's and it seems my truck is running better. It takes 15 seconds instead of 12 to run the cycle, but I am less concerned about gp failure or swollen plugs. I have read both sides of the debate on this forum. I guess it is up to you and what you want to believe.

edpdx

Hey antennaclimber, according to the post above, if a guy chooses the AC GP over the Wellman plug. The WAIT light cycles is too short. Can you reprogram a version of your GP cards for longer cycle times?

"IT... COULD... WORK!"

-Dr. Frodorick Fronkonsteen

that1028guy

Has anyone tried to retrofit a later model gp controller to their MV? My 1031 doesnt have a card in it, and I went to the stealership to see about something like it, and they have a electronic, all in one deal, it has 5 spades on it... Ill try and dig up a part #

mistaken1

Has anyone tried to retrofit a later model gp controller to their MV? My 1031 doesnt have a card in it, and I went to the stealership to see about something like it, and they have a electronic, all in one deal, it has 5 spades on it... Ill try and dig up a part #
antennaclimber is selling new cards that work in CUCs with no modifications.

M1008driver

Hey antennaclimber, according to the post above, if a guy chooses the AC GP over the Wellman plug. The WAIT light cycles is too short.
I watched while I did a cold engine start. Even though the gp wait light was 15 seconds the battery gauge showed what appeared to be the glows plugs drawing power for 15 more seconds.

I hope this helps with the discussion.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Wait light will stay on for about 15 seconds for a cold start. After the engine is started, the GP card will re-fire the GP's, this could be as long as 15 seconds or it will cycle the plugs on and off depending on the voltage to the plugs.

What you described sounds normal to me.
Karl

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Up under the dash on the left hand side near the parking brake foot pedal.
Should be in a black plastic housing about the size of a pack of cigarettes.
Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks