• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GP relay & GP voltage check ?

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get the 26 volts at the input to the relay contacts.
When the GP controller activates the relay I only get
about .05 volts at the output. I also measured one of the GP leads
removed from the GP and had similar results when the relay was activated.

Does it make sense that this is a bad relay, or am I missing something?

Thanks for any help on this!

Last edited:
Not disagreeing that the problem is the relay... but you haven't described your other symptoms with the glow plug components. Wait Light On/Off? Do you get the Clack when the relay is engaged?
Run through the troubleshooting steps on pages 2-63 of TM 9-2320-289-20. All parts work together. (glow plugs, controller, relay, glow plug temp switch.

Skinny

WAIT...you said 0.05v on the input side of the relay? That is what I read along with 0.05v at the GP terminal?

Can you be a little more specific about your test locations? Assuming you have a bone stock GP system with a resistor bank, did you do a visual inspection? I want to assume that the relay is not closing and that you measured the 0.05v on the output of the relay but if that is not the case you may have a severly shorted resistor which would drop almost no voltage when current is passing through.

MarcusOReallyus

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Input should not have 0.5 volts with the relay engaged. For that to happen, the resister, or something else upstream, would have to be offering an extremely high resistance.

So, if that statement is correct as written, then look for a badly corroded connection upstream (toward the battery) of the GP relay.

cpf240

I *think* he is saying that he sees full voltage on the input side of the GP relay, but only getting .05 on the output side, which, as already stated, would imply that the GP relay is carboned up and not passing voltage/current.

cucvrus

Time for a new snow plow relay. I have been using them. They seem to last longer and are able to take more abuse then the discontinued GM stock relay. Same principle as the OEM but seem to last longer. I think you put a snow plow up and down more times then you would start a truck in the same season. And less then $20.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys! Wow, I really botched up the original report. I edited it
to clarify the situation. Bought a GPR 109 today and will replace the bad one tomorrow.
I just noticed that people ar specifying an ST85. Are these really that better than the
GPR 109. Am I going to have to replace this again soon?

Thanks again for all your input on this!

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, that fixed my problem! Of course I still have to find one of the mounting screws I managed to drop....

Thanks again to all the folks who responded!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks