• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GP Relay Makes no noise M1008

Abbylind

I have the original GP relay in my 86 M1008. It has never made a "clunk" when it functions. Ive been in other CUCvs and 80s diesel Chevys and I always recall hearing a clunk as the relay cycles. Even my Dodge Cummins has a "clunk" in the relay. My M1008 has always been a hard starter. When I first bought it the resistor bank shorted and 24 volts went to the GPs. Did the resistor bypass and new GPs and its been running that way ever since, I just did the FM100 spin off filter mod thinking it was part of the hard starting problem...no joy..still takes several cycles on the GPs and a lot of cranking to get started when its cold. Once its warmed up it starts instantly.

Thoughts?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use the step-by-step GP system procedure in the TM 9-2320-289-20 tech manual to test the GP system. Without knowing if the system is working properly you will not know what parts need to be fixed or replaced.

All you need is a multimeter to test the system.

Abbylind

W
You are correct the TMs are the bible. I was just checking to see if board members had similar experiences and if their relays make an audible click while cycling
Thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GP relay on most of the trucks do make a clunk sound. You can test that by having someone trun the key while you are under the hood.

The section of the TM I refered too tests the wiring for the GP controller card. By doing the test it will help you figure out which component is not working.

The areas that will cause the GP relay to not work are: bad fuse (no power to the system), bad controler card, bad wiring in the GP harness or a bad relay.

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

Warthog, what's a conrooler card?

Is that like a cannoli card? I had one of those once. Won it as a door prize at an auction I went to. It was good for one free cannoli at a local Italian place. Good stuff.

What's conrooler like?

smiley-face-poke.gif

:mrgreen:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Warthog, what's a conrooler card?

Is that like a cannoli card? I had one of those once. Won it as a door prize at an auction I went to. It was good for one free cannoli at a local Italian place. Good stuff.

What's conrooler like?

View attachment 539089

:mrgreen:
Oh man, you discovered my secret, that a Moderator is human. [thumbzup]

Last edited:

Abbylind

Warthog is the man! You have to follow his advise and use the dash 20 manual...Power to the GP relay...power to the GP side when the WAIT light is on...power to the GPs...check the resistance on the GPs...5 out of 8 zero ohms! Threw in a new set of 60 Golfs....VAROOOM starts like a jackrabbit on a first date! I had one of the new 60gs fall between the exhaust manifold and the starter...never to be found...cleaned up one of the old ones and it works fine. My GP relay still is as quiet as a popcorn fart...but it works..leave it alone! Im glad I did the FM100 filter conversion, the old Stanadyne was looking pretty sad when I removed it. Next I need to replace the oil cooler and PS hoses. Thanks again Warthog!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would find the one you dropped, before it finds your positive battery cable and shorts out, causing a fire or worse.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks