• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GP relay not staying on???

GFB

Wait to start light was burnt out, but I heard the relay clunk when I turned the key on, so I thought it was cycling the glow plugs. I just waited ten seconds or so then cranked it over. Now that the bulb has been replaced, the clunk is when the light turns OFF. It momentary lights up as I turn the key, but when it gets to the run position the light turns off and the relay clunks.

Now, this vehicle is new to me and the only thing I have to refer to is my experience with HMMWVs. I remember their glow plug relay clunking when I turned on the key and the light illuminated, but no clunk when the wait to start light light went off.

Am I :cookoo:

blybrook

I'm not familiar with the CUCV system directly, but on my DD F250 diesel, when I have that clunk with nothing else, I can expect to have two or more Glow Plugs bad.

I would test all of the glow plugs and replace as necessary. Others may suggest the card itself and it would be worth testing it while you're under the hood.

GFB

Also, I cannot get the power steering pump to move toward the block enough to get the belt anywhere close to being on. I got the right belt according to the FAQ. Is there a trick to this? When I took the fan and radiator out (replaced radiator and harmonic balancer) I had to pull the water pump pulley off with the belt to get it off. The new one is a bit tighter and won't go on the same way. I see a pivot stud, an adjustment bracket on the water pump side, and an adjustment bracket that goes up to the alternator. These adjusters aren't on the same path, if that makes any sense. I can pry it in/out toward the fender just a bit, but then it doesn't line up with the alternator bracket.

I will drink a few beers and go look at again because I was getting pretty frustrated at it.

GFB

I'm not sure what GP relay is in there. I was going to replace with a napa one eventually, but I'm getting tired of putting money into this thing right now. There is one stuck glow plug (I put 7 new AC 60G's), but that one is unplugged and taped up until I can figure out a way to get it out.

USAWEAPON777

I'm not sure what GP relay is in there. I was going to replace with a napa one eventually, but I'm getting tired of putting money into this thing right now. There is one stuck glow plug (I put 7 new AC 60G's), but that one is unplugged and taped up until I can figure out a way to get it out.
DO NOT DRIVE IT LIKE THAT! If your truck has the stock glow plug setup it will overvolt the remaining glow plugs if one is dead or unplugged.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Download the TM 9-2320-289-34 Tech manual and follow the Glowplug system troubleshooting section to find out what the issue is. Until you test the system we will all be guessing.

Also by only using 7 plugs, they can all burn out.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All glowplugs can burn out. Some easier than others.

Read the sticky titled GP Theory of Operation. It sums it up really well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks