• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GP Spray Painting info on equipment getting out of control.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ive noticed that the numbers/info being applied onto equipment has gone from a paint pen/sharpie to spray painting huge numbers and letters.
Their not even trying to be neat and think about after the sale (shocker).

There is a M1008 CUCV coming up soon and instead of applying whatever is required in a nice small out of the way spot, GP spray painted on the entire length of the pickup bed.
It WAS a nice evenly faded CARC paint job.
Now whomever buys it will have to repaint it since it can't be removed easily without trace.

List of crazy spray painting includes everything from dozers to trailers.

What happened to writing all this info on the glass (if equipped) so it doesn't jack up the paint?!
Or on a very small area like a bumper, etc like GL used to?

Its getting worse.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi yup I saw that 1008 :shock: and more stuff too, I just got an item with no markings on it (pics soon) but stop it GP. :shrugs:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spray paint will come off with brake clean I use it for that purpose all the time spray paint has no hardner in it so its easy to clean off.
Maybe for what you bought.
Last few items I've bought needed MEK to get the red paint off. White paint isn't as bad.
Even then it still had a color tint embedded in the sand CARC.

Foot tall and larger letters and numbers are just a bit excessive.

two.fiveM35

They don't care, I saw some trucks on ironplanet and they put there sticker right on the middle of the speedometer. I beat it won't come off in one piece.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea
All my CUCVs had that sticker on the speedometer plastic.
A lot of dust was there so they didn't stick much at all. Came off fine.

Luckly all the gibberish was written on windshields and came off without issue.

........but you could tell it was all originally done by Government Liquidation.

Now that all those holdovers are gone it's spray can time
Just very sloppy and very unprofessional.

Disclaimer: I have not - and don't see the probability of purchasing from GP.

* Account for - and dispose of - surplus government property.

* Maintain collectability of surplus government property.

If you can't - or don't want to - do both, which is the top priority? I suspect GP is in the business to account for and dispose of surplus government property. They are not that much concerned about supporting the desires of those folks wanting to acquire historic military vehicles. Sure, they could make life better by not requiring additional work for the customer after purchasing a product. Of course, the vendor at the antique mall could also make life easier by not putting price stickers on the covers of collectible books.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look up those M1008s coming up soon for auction.

See the entire length of bed spray painted?

Tell me that's not lazy and unprofessional and unnecessary.

Exact same info could, and use to be, confined to a windshield or bumper or some other small area.

collectibility is irrelevant.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Look up those M1008s coming up soon for auction.

See the entire length of bed spray painted?

Tell me that's not lazy and unprofessional and unnecessary.

Exact same info could, and use to be, confined to a windshield or bumper or some other small area.

collectibility is irrelevant.
On the CUCVs I see the serial numbers painted on the bedside, I didn't notice any proof that govplanet painted them.
As far as I see govplanet can do what they want with their stuff, if it brings less money due to their painting then maybe they'll refrain from ruining paintjobs.
At least it's pictured in the auction before you buy it, it's pretty common when buying vehicles from other auctions to have markings sprayed over after the fact, or removed with a razor blade.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Proof?
um...their selling it and its in their usual format.

The point is not the spray paint.
Just how big and where their doing it now.

If no one else cares that's fine.

I just think GP can do better

smittyjr355

The one truck you reference to looks to be spray painted a long time ago. I also am not sure that is was govplanet that did this. Just my two cents.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok

But Ive never seen a GL truck painted like that. If they did I stand corrected.

Ironically the longer GP sells surplus equipment the larger the spray pattern.

Just my observation.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That truck is just one example.

A quick look through the auction items will show what I'm talking about.

No it's not 100% but close

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
That truck is just one example.

A quick look through the auction items will show what I'm talking about.

No it's not 100% but close
A quick look through the auctions shows 22 other items at the same location as the CUCVs. None have spray paint.
I guess GP just had it out for those 2 CUCVs, and wanted to drastically lower the value of them.:popcorn:

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that one might be an exception but I know at RRAD it is common practice used there on many the trucks undergoing full rebuild or being parted out before they even get out of drmo to GL and now GP to paint on tires or windshield or fender.

I have no "knowledge" but suspect it helps them find them easier as RRAD is one huge parking lot. Trucks and trailers crammed into every conceivable inch of pavement, grass, woods etc. Could take you all day to find one unit in a field or road of dozens to hundreds....

I have also seen some painted at Ft. Polk but not as pronounced.

Camp Shelby with all the M939's was the same.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RRAD has thousands of vehicles.
Usually they have a general location of whatever their looking for.

Your right.
It could take a day or even several in that huge place.

Look it it up on google earth.
They have trucks and equipment stuffed everywhere!

Terracoma

The truck in question looks like it has "DLA" across the bedside... So I'm wondering if this was done by DLA/DRMO personnel before it was turned over to GovPlanet?

I was reading a thread from yesteryear regarding the spray painted "X" on equipment, and a member posted that it was done at the unit level, before it was sent to DRMO.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm

I bet your right about DRMO.
Didnt even think about that.
Now it all makes sense because I've seen first hand how they treat equipment. Not spray paint, but other ways.

I do stand Corrected

Jwade

Supporting Vendor
The spray painting of numbers on the trucks are the DLA in almost every situation not GP, part of their demil procedures they are supposed to take off any marking that was related to the use( i.e. company, platoon anything...) Their method of doing such is spray paint since it is quick just like when they need to drain fluid they simply put a hole in the tank. The reasoning behind puttind the sticker on the odometer is to verify the odometer matches the truck number in a dispute situation it has saved a lot of head aches.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The spray painting of numbers on the trucks are the DLA in almost every situation not GP, part of their demil procedures they are supposed to take off any marking that was related to the use( i.e. company, platoon anything...) Their method of doing such is spray paint since it is quick just like when they need to drain fluid they simply put a hole in the tank. The reasoning behind puttind the sticker on the odometer is to verify the odometer matches the truck number in a dispute situation it has saved a lot of head aches.
Speaking of headaches with purchases, are you back Jwade to help us???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks