• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GPS in a deuce

Michael

I have used Street Atlas on a laptop for 10 plus years. I bought several Digital Ultra II laptops on ebay cheep and use an old Garmin GPS II hand held. I don't go on a road trip without it. Traveling with a laptop open and running is rough on a laptop. I have killed two screens and a hinge so far. I also have the latest version of street atlas and their USB GPS module that I use on my modern laptop. Traveling in a car is too rough on it to use the new laptop regularly now but in a few more years when I update, I might demote it to navagation duty. I have used the old hand held in my duece for speed and direction, but I haven't tried the laptop yet. I was going to on my last recovery, but the truck was puting fuel in the oil and I had to change plans.

I would recomend going with either an inexpensive handheld or a laptop. I can't see spending big money on a large screen dedicated GPS unit.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another vote for Garmin, although I follow another route. I have the Garmin GPSmap 76CSx handheld model. I use it hunting, on horseback, boating, motorcycle, car and truck. Watertight and floats! The batteries I use can go 22 hours and I have a fast charger for 110/12v quick charges. It has most the features of the larger units with complete mobility.