• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grandpa's M37

greeno

I gave up on electrolysis last week after two weeks of cooking. It did a pretty good job of cleaning the tank between the baffles; but outside of the baffles still looks nasty. This process works by 'line of sight' so there was no chance of it working behind the baffles.

I had a radiator shop boil it over the weekend and I'm picking it up in the morning. I'll post my results....

greeno

Well...the guy didn't charge me because he didn't make it any better. Looks like i'm into either cutting it open and sand-blasting or a whole new tank. Bummer.

SteveKuhn

Alternatives: Vintage Power Wagon offers rebuilds already done or can redo yours. There's also www.[B]gastankrenu[/B].com/‎ or the POR-15 treatments. I'm not sure if I read it here or on G741, but tumbling with pennies as an abrasive can be done. Seems like it would lead to tired arms, but . . .

With a little ingenuity, perhaps you could figure a way to position and secure the ground rod inside the tank so that you get line of sight in the spots missed.

Steve

nhjohnny1

If its rust acid will take it out, just need to be careful, I cleaned mine with hydrocloric followed by phosphoric to grey the metal, cleaned great but the phosphoric was to diluted so I got flash rust, also i dont thing it got the top of the tank well as im still getting some fine rust in the filter.

SteveKuhn

As I recall, you weren't trying to keep the truck 100% stock. There are a couple of threads on G741 and I recall at least several modern gas tanks that will fit with only a little fiddling with the fuel connections. Since it's out of sight, this could be a very good $125 or so alternative. I've been considering doing it myself to get the truck functional while kicking the cost of the original tank fix down the road.

Steve

Rusty1340

What a great weekend! Thought I read somewhere that strapping a tank to a cement mixer was the trick. Let me tell you: it was. I had the boys dump about a gallon of pea-sized rocks into it and let it spin for 4 hours. See the three photos below:

1. Before
2. During
3. After!

View attachment 435936View attachment 435937View attachment 435938
Way better then rolling it around in the yard. That works great I done several motorcycle tanks this way. But the cement mixer was genuine for sure.

Johnbyrdgates

green,
When my fuel filter kept plugging, it turned out to be rusted fuel lines. If the truck sat for 15-20 years, there was plenty of time for your lines to rust inside. Mine looked great on the outside right up until I could see the inside from the split that developed. Ethanol s#$&s, too, so try to find ethanol free gas. Cute little tyke in the picture!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks