• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Graves Mountain Rally Syria Virginia 2023

CGarbee

The dates for the 2023 Graves Mountain MV Trailrides and Rally are Wednesday, August 30, through Monday, September 4, 2023.

I'll be updating the website soon....

The thread for last year's event (for reference) is located at https://www.steelsoldiers.com/threads/graves-mountain-rally-virginia-labor-day-weekend-2022.209123/

Same plan as in years past...with a few updates based upon everyone's feedback...

Website (with last year's dates) is

More info soon concerning preview weekends and the Trail Crew cleanup dates.

Blake

The Virginia rally is a great family friendly event and Cabell is an excellent host. The family farm is 1000+ acres with a rolling meadow for our rally area. This is a “working” rally so there are special once-a-year opportunities to drive our military vehicles on off-road trails, convoy on local scenic mountain roads, or park in the display field. In previous years, participants have come from as far as 700 miles away and many from South Carolina, Tennessee, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Ohio.
Lodging in the graves lodge/cabins or meals at their farmhouse style restaurant are also available (reservations are to be made direct with them) - https://www.gravesmountain.com/
The local towns also offer some nice restaurants, artisan shops, and wineries.
Primitive camping/ military vehicle entry is included in the rally registration as well as a homemade group buffet supper on Saturday night, one of cabell’s famous specialties. Showers and flush toilets are onsite for campers use. The weather is typically warm in the afternoon and cooler at night. Rally T-shirts will be available for purchase. The meadow has a rock base under the grass so stable for large military vehicles/ tow vehicles/ trailers and motor homes with capacity to spread out.
Graves market and tackle is adjacent to the rally and has made to order deli sandwiches, seasonal milkshakes, drinks/snacks, ice, local artisan wares, fishing supplies, and light groceries- perfect for lunch on the go or picking up small items that were left at home.
Trail rides are planned throughout the day and led by a local/ seasoned off-road team. Trails vary from a grassy ride in the Apple orchard to extremely challenging. Most rides are a mid level challenge. The terrain varies between rocks, inclines, dirt, and fresh mountain river crossings. A local road convoy will be planned If there is interest from the “show Jeep” participants. The closest gas station is in Madison, VA so fill up before you get there and good idea to bring some extra gas. There are many opportunities to drive and enjoy your vehicle.
The rally goes on rain or shine. Even in the rain, the participants can gather under the registration tent until the showers pass. If you are looking for a relaxing weekend in the blue ridge mountains and enjoy your military vehicle with other friends, the Virginia rally is your place!F1BFA576-19FF-4CA7-91D8-813AF97A5C85.jpeg3BB23DD4-819B-4F62-BA24-92D3E6DD55B9.jpeg67BED5DD-9993-4596-B43F-AE37467201CC.jpeg60C396A4-C0FE-4093-9150-45154B904428.jpeg38B1F8C9-0C07-4774-B622-EEBD0E303BF3.jpegAD31AEB7-A128-4E89-9B13-54911C380061.jpeg

Last edited:

CGarbee

I've got the registration form and flyer updated (changed the dates and the photos) and will upload them on Monday since I have the wrong laptop with me this weekend.
Meghan, who did our shirt last year, is working on a shirt design....

I'll be checking on the trails after Memorial Day and planning work weekends in July based on trail conditions. More info about those in June....

CGarbee

Keep in mind that we will be having a work weekend on July 4 (complete with fireworks from Graves Mountain and the annual battle of the fireworks between the Lodge guests and some of the neighbors... So, you get about three hours of serious show...plus food and music). We will also have a work weekend July 25 (Peach Day at Graves Mountain...celebrating all things peachy...) and another work weekend in mid-August.

The work weekends are a chance to preview the trails, help clear them as necessary, and earn a Trail Crew shirt and recognition...and get fed... :)
If you want to help out at any of the weekends, send me a PM or give me a call....
More details as we get closer to the weekends...

Also, we will have more details about the event shirts once I learn what the design will be.... :)

Looking forward to seeing a bunch of you at the end of summer...it will be here before we know it...

CGarbee

Aug 20 through Sept 4, that's going to be a long weekend! Those long trips to inspect roads in Western North Carolina must be taking their toll.
Geez... Good thing that I haven't mailed these out yet...
I got it correct on the registration page and have a typo on the flyer...
Correct dates are August 30 - September 4, 2023 ....

I might show up on August 20th just to get things ready and to decompress from the day job...

Thanks!!

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Geez... Good thing that I haven't mailed these out yet...
I got it correct on the registration page and have a typo on the flyer...
Correct dates are August 30 - September 4, 2023 ....

I might show up on August 20th just to get things ready and to decompress from the day job...

Thanks!!
An extra 10 days to decompress is highly recommended!

CGarbee

As noted above, I have revised the flyer and reposted it and the registration page to show the correct date for the start of the event...although as SCSG-G4 has noted, I will be on site prior to the date posted and don't mind if a few of you show up early as well.... Just let me know if you are planning an early arrival so that I can alert the authorities... :)

CGarbee

I think that I have the website updated....including putting the current flyer/registration form up (when you download the pdf, it still says that it is the 2018 form...just ignore that bit as I haven't fixed that link...).
Hopefully, Meghan will get the shirt design to me before long so I can post details about it...
Go to https://gravesmountaintrailrides.com/
Hope to see a bunch of you in late August!

CGarbee

Trail Crew!

Join us for a combined four days of trail maintenance and site preparation leading up to the week of the event and earn yourself a Trail Crew shirt and other recognition.

We will be having a work weekend (trail clearing/trail preview) during the days leading up to the 4th of July, Peach Day in July, and a weekend TBD in August. Individuals who can join us for four combined complete days of volunteer labor during any of these work weekends will receive a TRAIL CREW shirt and other recognition at the Trailrides and Rally. You must register with me in advance (send me a message/email) for the work weekends so that we can coordinate volunteers and ensure that everyone is provided an opportunity to work and earn their Trail Crew membership.

Other than having a trail ready vehicle (Jeep, MV, Gator, etc) so that you can get out and work on the trails, we also have a need for such equipment as chain saws, loppers, weed and hedge trimmers, Compact Track Loader, 4x4 Tractor with FEL/Bushhog, etc. Contact us before you come to a Trail Crew weekend to ensure that the equipment and tools that you are bringing are appropriate for that weekend’s work.

July 4 Weekend
We will be having a work weekend (trail clearing/trail preview) during the days leading up to the 4th of July. You must register with Cabell Garbee in advance (send him a message/email) for the work weekends so that we can coordinate volunteers and ensure that everyone is provided an opportunity to work and earn their Trail Crew membership.

The Graves family will once again have a massive fireworks display on the 4th, along with activities that afternoon. The show last about 45 minutes and they shoot off 3" to 5" shells, then the neighbors have about an hour long "battle" utilizing fireworks purchased during the year from states that are a tad more lenient about what can be purchased without a liscense than Va or NC...

We’ll be at the farm from the morning of July 1st through the morning of the 5th...

Peach Day Weekend
We will be having a work weekend (trail clearing/trail preview) during the days around Peach Day on the 22 of July. You must register with Cabell Garbee in advance (send him a message/email) for the work weekends so that we can coordinate volunteers and ensure that everyone is provided an opportunity to work and earn their Trail Crew membership.

The Graves family will once again be celebrating all things Peachy… See their website for information at:
https://www.gravesmountain.com/peach-day/

We’ll be at the farm from the evening of July 20th through the morning of the 23rd...

August weekend TBD
We will also take a weekend in August prior to the Trailrides and Rally week to do some mowing of the big camping field and trimming of a few more trails…. This weekend will be announced. Contact Cabell Garbee directly for dates and information.

Important note!
You must contact Cabell Garbee before each of the work days to coordinate needed equipment, meeting locations and times, and to confirm that the Trail Crew is actually working on a given weekend. Trail Crew weekends are subject to change due to weather and other unforeseen events. Cabell may be reached at 919-906-6294 (leave message or text) or by email at cgarbee@nc.rr.com

CGarbee

I finally got off my rear and went by the post office today ....
The registration form/flyer/trail crew info packet is on its way to those who are on the mailing list for hard copies...

If you need one, either download it from the link above or give me a shout and I'll ensure that you have it... :)

CGarbee

I'll be at the Syria Store at 8:00 each morning from Saturday, July 1 through 4 for those who are able to join in for trail maintenance... Send me a PM or a text message if you are coming so that I will know to be on the lookout for you.... Once we head out, it's nearly impossible for folks to figure out where we are on the mountains hence the need to contact me before you arrive.

CGarbee

I'll be at Graves this weekend for Peach Day. Mom has decided to make the trip (first time in years), so I won't have my Jeep... If any of you plan on attending and perhaps doing some riding/trail maintenance...please let me know ASAP...

I did haul the trail mower up over the 4th of July weekend. I need to acquire/fabricate a control cable in order to get it connected to a compact track loader... One that is done, I should be able to trim the stuff hanging over the sides of the trails much easier than in the past.... We'll still need to ride everything prior the event to ensure that any larger trees that may have dropped across the trails are cleared...

CGarbee

We had a successful trail evaluation and clearing this past weekend (coinciding with Peach Day at Graves Mountain). Steve, Irvin, and I, managed to ride all the trails on Graves Mountain and a few over on Doubletop Mountain.... We had to do a bit of chainsaw work on each trail due to fallen trees, but not as much as in some years past... We will have to return in August to do some mowing and trimming of the overhanging limbs and branches.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks