• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Greasing the short drive line

ClintA

I have trouble getting a grease gun on the zerks on the short drive line that hooks to the engine (5 Ton), does anybody have a trick they would like to share? I have tried a needle with no luck, thanks in advance.

lindsey97

Chock your wheels for safety, place transfer case in neutral, crawl under truck with grease gun and spin the short driveline by hand until your grease gun tip will fit in there. Only one position it will fit per revolution.

I purchased a $30 Lincoln needle and that didn't work either.

bchauvette

I'm not sure what we mean when we say needle fitting. For me a needle fitting is sharp and designed to pierce. I use what I call a straight fitting. It doesn't wrap around the Zerk fitting it just pushes against it. It is no wider than the grease gun tube.

grease fitting.jpg

B.T.W. Keeping the "U" joints juiced up should help with disassemble when rebuild time comes up.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made this when I first got my truck. Took about 5 minutes with a bastard file. This one fits all fittings on the truck.

20150907_112552.jpg

dmetalmiki

As mentioned before, in neutral turn the shaft by hand and a regular good make grease gun fitting works ok every time for me no problem On either the deuces or 5 tons. actually the 5 tons are easier because you can sit up and apply a bit hold on pressure if needed.

Csm Davis

uploadfromtaptalk1441660587566.jpghere's a picture of a grease gun needle they are available in different lengths and is the easiest way I know to get grease in, but I have been able to get a standard nipple on my 936 and 816 a few times, sometimes I think you just need to hold your tongue just right to make it work!