• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Great List" part II

YankeeDuece

I just finished reading, "Great List" for picking-up a deuce, and it occured to me that nobody included a license plate.

I won 2 deuces out of Anneville and plan on flat towing them home when my EUC clears.

My question is, or maybe this is a poll, but who:
1. Gets a plate then drives their winner home legally
2. Takes a plate off of a cueently tagged deuce
3. Gets a dealer/transporter plate from a friend
4. Throws caution to the wind and takes their chances w/o a plate

BTW. New York does not offer temp. tags.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
#4, but I always have the paid in full invoice and proof of insurance. I also have the GL rep sign and date the invoice showing that the vehicle was picked up that day. According to New Mexico DMV its legal as long as your taking it home.....never been stopped so, who knows if this is true.

bottleworks

In NC You can get private transporter plates for $14/yr. I went that route. Because each state is different, there is no quick answer. Just make sure you have insurance on it before driving it.

Michael

Mississippi doesn't have temp plates. I also get the GL rep to sign and date a copy of the invoice. I will also bring an extra copy in the future because the rep didn''t have one at Symera, TN (it is an unmanned site).

ecostruction

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, I really shouldn't respond to this....

I have my plates for my legal trucks on dealer magnets (don't want to drill holes in my trucks for plates and want to be able to remove easily for parades, etc.). I got 6 magnets for trailers and trucks at Gallagher promotional supplies. Anyway, I have driven without but with insurance, I've driven with a plate from another truck, and insurance, I've driven with the plate and windshield with inspection sticker from another truck, and insurance. The last I did while towing another deuce right past a state cop in the middle of Gettysburg NB. Sphincter was tight on that one. Best thing in hindsight is insurance and no plates with signed invoice from GL.

Don't switch windshields and plates like I did. That's stupid. Even though a LEO will most likely not know where to confirm VIN etc., it's just stupid and implies that you know the law well enough to know better. In PA I have not found a way to drive a deuce home legally. Local DMV reps are not helpful at all and I haven't found the mysterious "temp permit" I've heard referenced by GL and LEOs in the state.

And for anyone watching this thread closely, my name is Sphen and I live in Idaho.

emr

Hi Sphen, My Name is Igor, Once driving with 2 deuces to a show,many many years ago, the truck behind me all the way at a stop to rest, said hey Both your trucks have the same plate, oops, Howed that happen? ...Igor

Melvinitis

In WI you have two days from the date you get it. Like everyone else says, have GL sign the invoice showing your delivery date, insurance and you should be golden, at least here.

Melvinitis

Side, note, I had a long coversation with the DMV yesturday about the SF 97 delay and what should I do, in WI, the research and information section wants to see ALL surplus trucks. I was told send everything I have in and maybe, just maybe, that department will issue without the SF 97. I sent the transcript from a GL chat where they stated it will be at least 45 days for the SF 97. I hope that will do it.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No matter what, get insurance. Thats a non negotiable issue for me.. THEN:

Option 1 is kinda hard to do quickly without a SF-97, and to get the SF-97, you need to get LEO to inspect it and sign off on. Kind of a non workable option.
Option 2, not bad at all....
Option 3, better than option 2
Option 4, worst of all

steelandcanvas

Insurance mandatory...plate...well...hope I can talk my way out of that one. But I won't try and deceive a LEO with traded plates. Take my chances and license as soon as I can.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
emmado22 said:
No matter what, get insurance. Thats a non negotiable issue for me.. THEN:

Option 1 is kinda hard to do quickly without a SF-97, and to get the SF-97, you need to get LEO to inspect it and sign off on. Kind of a non workable option.
Option 2, not bad at all....
Option 3, better than option 2
Option 4, worst of all
Option 2, deceiving/attempting to deceive a law enforcement officer by knowingly placing a licence plate from another vehicle on a vehicle its not issued for, vs option 4, "Sir I just bought this truck, I'm on my way home, here is my insurance card and my invoice."

Thanks but I'll take my chances with option 4........

Jakob

If you don't have a license plate or transportation tags, I think I agree with FMJ. It'd just be best to have current insurance and be honest, "I just bought the truck, I have current insurance and I'm on my way home."

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Iif you drive it without a tag it's an unregistered vehicle. If you attach another tag it's still an unregistered vehicle but npw you've added the charge of unassigned tag. Operate nothing without insurance, wing the tag if you have to but have your paperwork

ida34

In Michigan never acquired registration is a civil infraction. Putting the wrong plate on it is a Misdemeanor. To add to what Armada said above you have 48 hours in from the time of the sale to get the vehicle home and to the Secretary of State office to get your vehicle registered. If it takes you 72 hours to drive it home you are out of luck. If you are going anywhere except home or the SOS office you can get a ticket for never acquiring registration. Also remember, in Michigan you will get towed and impounded until you can prove you have the truck legally registered with proper insurance. That can get kind of expensive if you have to wait for the SF-97 from GL. I think they give you a nice out by being able to drive home or to SOS without a plate.

Crash_AF

I'll add to the list with Colorado being much tougher on fake plates than driving without. If you have insurance you'll get a ticket for no registration, but if you have fake plates on it, then you'll get a bigger ticket, bigger fine, AND lose your plates.

Later,
Joe

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have tried all four ways but the bottom line is it is best to be legal and always best to be insured. If I am going the way of #4 I always do it in uniform. I too am Stphen and live in Bulgaria