• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Great winch video (and question)

ramdough

I saw this video of an A0 winch truck and the owner showed how he can run the winch while in gear, powering the wheels.

Does anyone know if this works on an A1?

Can someone try it?

This is the video:

Need to know soon, as I am in process on an A0 to A1 winch transplant and need to know if the stock A1 setup can do it.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need to know soon, as I am in process on an A0 to A1 winch transplant and need to know if the stock A1 setup can do it.
What happens if you don't find out before you finish?

I saw this video too, and was wondering if his operated normally. There was a thread here not long ago where the consensus was that it wasn't possible to have it in gear and run the winch.

ramdough

What happens if you don't find out before you finish?

I saw this video too, and was wondering if his operated normally. There was a thread here not long ago where the consensus was that it wasn't possible to have it in gear and run the winch.
So, the A1 PDP harness has a different connector than the A0 where it connects to the rear harness that feeds the winch PTO, transmission cooler fan, and winch solenoids. The pin connections appear to be the same, just different pin counts and connector shape.

The thought was to Frankenstein the harnesses together to make it work as a stock truck, but if the stock truck does not work like the video, I think I could fudge it to make it work while spinning tires.

I think the forum consensus was that the cable take in rate does not match the wheel spin, but the video shows that it does not really matter because if you are stuck, your wheel spin rate does not match you movement rate (because you are stuck), so it looks like you would be ok either way. Does that make sense?

ramdough

Can someone just start up their truck, put it in drive somewhere with space, then bump the PTO to see what happens?

My guess is nothing since the engine needs to rev up automatically. In the video, he was using the throttle peddle to rev up on the A0.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
On the 1083 I had with the Pto on, placing the truck in drive it would beep and 7 would flash till I put it back in neutral. It's a interlock they have on the system

You can bypass it i am sure. Pto runs off the torque converter drive gear meaning it can operate with the truck in gear. It will not work fast with the transmission in gear and tires moving cause its not spinning but so fast in order to power the pto and then the pump. In neutral the torque converter is spinning at engine speed.

You can run a pto at idle speed. It just won't let be fast. Rpms = more gpm = faster cable speed

ramdough

On the 1083 I had with the Pto on, placing the truck in drive it would beep and 7 would flash till I put it back in neutral. It's a interlock they have on the system

You can bypass it i am sure. Pto runs off the torque converter drive gear meaning it can operate with the truck in gear. It will not work fast with the transmission in gear and tires moving cause its not spinning but so fast in order to power the pto and then the pump. In neutral the torque converter is spinning at engine speed.

You can run a pto at idle speed. It just won't let be fast. Rpms = more gpm = faster cable speed
So the video shows him starting in gear, then turning on the PTO, which bypasses the interlock.

Do you have an A1? That is the main question.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So the video shows him starting in gear, then turning on the PTO, which bypasses the interlock.

Do you have an A1? That is the main question.

It was an a0. Pto switch would not do anything if it was in gear and I flipped it.

On some setups the when the pto engagement goes thru the tcm it has to see a certain parameter to allow the power from switch to pto to go thru the tcm. Being a clutch type pto basically it wants to see neutral before allowing it to engage thru the tcm. I am sure there is a reprogram for it.

On my pto on my Allison I have to put it in drive and engage the pto then go back to neutral to use the pto correctly. This is a non electronic Allison

You will tear the clutch packs up in the pto using it in gear under double load

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the operation on my M1089A1 when I engage the PTO the RPMs are automatically set and I'm locked out of the gears as described. I have been too quick for the computer in the past and while in gear engaged the PTO. The RPMs increased some but since the truck was in gear and the parking brake set it kept it retarded from the preset ideal RPM. I've not tried to drive the truck with the PTO still engaged.

ramdough

From the operation on my M1089A1 when I engage the PTO the RPMs are automatically set and I'm locked out of the gears as described. I have been too quick for the computer in the past and while in gear engaged the PTO. The RPMs increased some but since the truck was in gear and the parking brake set it kept it retarded from the preset ideal RPM. I've not tried to drive the truck with the PTO still engaged.
Hmmm.... I forgot you owned every flavor of FMTV

I should have just asked you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks