• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Greater Houston-area Events

m715mike

Meet & Eat Saturday, May 6 in Brenham, Texas
It looks like the meet and eat is taking shape. texas30cal found a BBQ restaurant in Brenham for us to meet at on Saturday, May 6. Here's the details:
1307 Prairie Lea St
Brenham, TX 77833

Restaurant's website: www.nathansbbq.com
Check-out their menu

Let's plan to meet at Nathan's BBQ at 10:00am Saturday, May 6. We can hang-out for an hour or two before going inside to eat by noon.

Who can make it? Who's up for a convoy from the north side of Houston (or Navasota) to Brenham?

Another Ahab

Meet & Eat Saturday, May 6 in Brenham, Texas
It looks like the meet and eat is taking shape. texas30cal found a BBQ restaurant in Brenham for us to meet at on Saturday, May 6. Here's the details:

They got Black-Eyed Peas as a Side, and also an Okra "Basket" on the menu.
That place got me in their corner right there. :beer:

texas30cal

We could use part of the 2 hours from 10-12 to go convoy around the loop and through downtown or could do it after lunch? There is a gravel area at the back of the parking lot where we can park, if that's not enough I know the owner of the business next door we can use their lot or part of it. Ahab, I usually founder myself on the burnt ends of the brisket and or a half rack of ribs with a side of the house made potato chips, I know.....not exactly the health menu!! But it's soooooo good!!! BBQ just isn't cheap

edit.... and YES, I did replace my steering wheel with the 18" one

Last edited:

m715mike

Let's bump this thread for those folks that like BBQ and enjoy spending time with other SSers!

I'm looking forward to lunch this Saturday. I've touched bases with about 25 guys. Unfortunately, many can't make it (other plans, work, etc.). There are still several "maybe's" that makes getting an accurate head count tricky. I guess we'll just have to see who shows. The weather forecast looks perfect. See everyone on Saturday!

two.fiveM35

Sorry I can't make it this gathering. What do you guys think about meeting at Cars & Coffee at Memorial City Mall some time in the future? Only thing with that is that we need to get there early at dark:30

m715mike

Sorry I can't make it this gathering. What do you guys think about meeting at Cars & Coffee at Memorial City Mall some time in the future? Only thing with that is that we need to get there early at dark:30

I'm game. When is the next one? O' dark:30 is fine with me.

Sorry we'll miss you this weekend.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Michael - sorry it didn't work out for any of the locals from up this way to attend. Lots of interest, just too many prior commitments. But we're game to try again for the next one!
Y'all have fun. :beer:

Cheers

m715mike

May 6, 2017 Meet & Eat After Action Report

Well, as far as I'm concerned, one couldn't ask for a better day. The weather was perfect, there was great company, good food and the trucks ran safely and smoothly!

I stopped for fuel this morning at 09:00 and then hit the road.
050617 Fuel stop 2.jpg

Shortly after 10:00 I met-up with texas30cal and Texasvet100 on the east side of Brenham, Texas. From the meeting point, we convoyed to Nathan's BBQ restaurant where a fourth truck (and a crew cab none the less) was already waiting for us.
050617 Line up 2.jpg050617 Line up.jpg050617 Crew cab.jpg

We hung out in the parking lot for a while checking out each other's trucks. texas30cal and Texasvet100 recently acquired their Deuces, and they are putting in a lot of work to go through them. The crew cab was rather impressive. It sill sits on a stock Deuce frame (i.e., it wasn't bobbed) and has a lot of upgrades.

After some time in the parking lot, we went inside for BBQ. fuzzytoaster showed up just in time for lunch, in a POV at that. Okay, we didn't give him a hard time since he has already done 500+ miles in his M915 this week.

After lunch we went for a convoy through the beautiful country landscape.
050617 Convoy 8.jpg050617 Convoy 2.jpg050617 Convoy.jpg

I'm already looking forward to the next one!

Nitrodiver

Thanks to some of the fine folks here I have been in contact with the organizers at Frog Fest. They have asked for military vehicles to lead the KILO 19. it's a 19kl fund raising walk down the beach on Boliver. There will be veterans and civilians walking. KILO 19 starts at 8am Sunday May 28th and ending at Frog Fest around 2:30pm. As long as it's a military vehicle and doesn't matter what, mule, gama goat, Deuce, 5 ton, tank, APC ect, your invited.

If you would like to be a part of this please PM me. Include what vehicle/s you will bring and a good contact phone number cell phone is best. If you don't include a phone number I can not get the additional info to you. I assure you your info will remain confidential. I will call you with the details.

I know it's short notice but this part has just developed in the last few days. Forgive the typos I'm doing this on my phone wile in a meeting.

Thanks everyone
R

Last edited:

m715mike

nofearnohope sent me info on this event and asked that I pass it along...

On Sunday, May 28 at 12:00pm, there will be a "Mud It or Shut It" event in Chrystal Beach, Texas at the annual Texas Frog Fest.

How many of y'all would like to cover your MV in a fresh (and wet) coat of all natural brown paint? Don't worry, it won't harm your CARC base coat.

Registration for the Mud It or Shut It event is found at this websit:
https://www.goracego.com/Search/event.aspx?id=40183

They also have a facebook page here:
https://www.facebook.com/texasfrogfest/posts/1900422026868543

I hadn't heard of this event before nofearnohope mentioned it. According to the Texas Frog Fest website, the weekend long festival is a benefit for the Lone Survivor's Chrystal Beach retreat facility. There is more information here:
http://texasfrogfest.org/

It would be great if SS'ers could attend, and I'm sure their MV's will be well received! Unfortunately, I have plans that week and can't attend. But it's something I will remember for next year!
Thanks to some of the fine folks here I have been in contact with the organizers at Frog Fest. They have asked for military vehicles to lead the KILO 19. it's a 19kl fund raising walk down the beach on Boliver. There will be veterans and civilians walking. KILO 19 starts at 8am Sunday May 28th and ending at Frog Fest around 2:30pm. As long as it's a military vehicle and doesn't matter what, mule, gama goat, Deuce, 5 ton, tank, APC ect, your invited.

If you would like to be a part of this please PM me. Include what vehicle/s you will bring and a good contact phone number cell phone is best. If you don't include a phone number I can not get the additional info to you. I assure you your info will remain confidential. I will call you with the details.

I know it's short notice but this part has just developed in the last few days. Forgive the typos I'm doing this on my phone wile in a meeting.

Thanks everyone
R

Just to be clear, Nitrodiver is talking about the event this weekend in Chrystal Beach. So far, I understand his truck is the only MV that will be there. If anyone else is planning to attend (with a MV or not), please get in touch with Nitrodiver ASAP.

Nitrodiver

Well made it down to the KILO 19 and back with no problems. The oil' girl ran just fine.

It it was an absolute honor to lead a hand full of active duty Devil Dogs, a few team guys, a group of go-getter ROTC and OCS candidates and one young lady that is hard as they come. She out worked, ran, walked everyone at everything and all with a 75lbs 3 day pack! There were a couple of parents of fallen service members as well.

At every kilometer we stopped for a water break. The active duty Marines, ROTC and team guys did 12 push ups and ran out into the surf! Wet and sandy was the order of the day! Having to drive, watch the small kids, keep pace with cadence and direct traffic I didn't get many pics. But I'm suppose to get copies of the pics taken by the pro photographers that were there.

Heres one, water stop.
IMG_8298.jpg

I thought this this was a cool shot through the mirror. Active duty Marines leading the walkers.
IMG_8295.jpg

Other side shot of walkers. The red truck behind me is carrying the cold water.
IMG_8297.jpg

Another water stop shot.
IMG_8296.jpg

I think this this was at kilometer 10.
IMG_8294.jpg
The gentleman in the tan (lower left) walked 628 miles ending at the boliver ferry!

I met some very cool people and amazing vets. Even met a fellow SS member just talking to folks wile at the water stops. I'll certainly be going again next year!

R

comanderfritz

I really really wanted to come. But ol girl decided now was the time to blow a glow plug control box and strand me at a cigar bar at 2 am. Next time let me know. She'll be fixed in 2 weeks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

m715mike

Nitrodiver - That is awesome!! I'm glad the event went so well, and I really enjoyed the pictures you posted. Thank you! Please let us know when there are talks about organizing for next year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks