• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Greetings From California

BnaditCorps

Hey I'm a 15 year old high school student from Northern California. Some of my interests include Military history, Ships, Tanks, Guns, Metal work, and expanding my knowledge. I Like Country music, History, and Fire Science.

Now Don't detract me because of my age, I may be young, but I am knowledgeable and respectful.

I can't thank any single person for bringing my here, in fact many people have told me of this over the last few years, to many to name, but alas i came.

-BnaditCorps

o7 to all who have served and continue to serve.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Welcome from the right coast, Cape Cod, MA. Glad to see the young guys participating in this hobby. Better than most alternatives. Have fun and you will learn a lot. I have and I am nowhere near 15!

tim292stro

California is a big state, even the northern half... can you narrow it down to at least a county so we know what we're dealin' with? I spend a lot of time up the norther coast of California (between Eureka and Crescent City), sometimes further south like Fort Bragg... I also have family up in the Paradise area

Welcome from the S.F. Bay Area. :beer:

71DeuceAK

Yeah, I forgot to ask what area of California. Lake/Napa counties by any chance? I know people (though not MV hobbyists) there. I spent much of my childhood and parts of my teen years in Atascadero, in San Luis Obispo (SLO, pronounced like "slow") county.

TB58

Welcome from North Carolina. I grew up north of Santa Rosa and have family scattered around Northern California. Moved out of Alaska (not my idea) earlier this year.

71DeuceAK

Alaska? What area? I'm from Sitka/Port Alexander, and have spent time in other parts of Southeast. I'm planning on moving to Fairbanks for 4 years for college (Well, ideally a suburb like Pleasant Valley/Chena Hot Springs, and commuting in and out of Fairbanks, possibly a '71 Deuce potential acquisition. Lots of open highway driving on the Chena Hot Springs road!

MtnSnow

Hello and welcome from Utah from a San Joaquin county transplant. (Manteca). I maybe a fair bit older chronologically (48 8) but that's just a number :)

Last edited:

TB58

I was living in North Pole. CHSR is a nice area, careful if the place you get has a well, lots of arsenic out that way. There was a real nice Deuce driving around up there before I left. Only saw it once or twice. Might look into upgrading the tires for the winter up there. Not sure how NDT's would do on the ice. They do a really good job with the roads but they are Ice for most of the winter. We are still on the hunt for a nice piece of property outside of town to build on up there.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from the Sacramento area of Nor. Cal. I'm always working on an MV project. Your "free" labor is always welcome :lol:

71DeuceAK

Yeah, I imagine the roads would be really iffy with NDTs on ice up there. I assume they salt the main freeways going in/out of Fairbanks, though?
Good to know about the well...so basically don't drink the tap water kind of setup? My first question for anything in that part of the world is "Does it have running water"? (Since even many of the homes in Fairbanks proper don't). And then the next one should be "Does it have parking for a Deuce and a half?"

TB58

Thankfully they don't use any salt up there. It gets too cold for the reaction to work. They sand the roads. Initial freeze up and break up can get pretty sketchy, but once it is an established ice pack the roads are fairly decent.

If it is on a well make sure they have tested it before you drink it. Most people up there truck their water. Would work well with the Deuce, put a 500 gal tank in the bed and make your water runs when you go to town. Another option is a dry cabin. No running water and an outhouse. I have friends who have done this and even enjoyed it. The real advantage of the dry cabin is they can be had for under 400 a month.

Parking shouldn't be too much of a problem up there. most places are far enough apart that you should have room for it. Also, very few people have a lawn.

Another note, the constant use of chains is frowned upon. Convoys leaving Wainwright had to remove chains once they left post and could only put them on if actually needed. I wonder if you could stud a set of NDCC's?

BnaditCorps

Yeah, I forgot to ask what area of California. Lake/Napa counties by any chance? I know people (though not MV hobbyists) there. I spent much of my childhood and parts of my teen years in Atascadero, in San Luis Obispo (SLO, pronounced like "slow") county.
No, but I loved Boggs Mountain, and now that is all burned up :/

I live a little south of there, Solano County

71DeuceAK

OK good to know about the salt. When I visited on my post-secondary trip, there was snow on the ground but not really on the roads. Sand...now I know why many cars up there are just COVERED in dust.

Yeah, another good reason for a Deuce...water runs. I've also thought about the drive-in-the-snow-ability... I've also entertained the dry cabin idea, are there many of those out of town but on a road system? And are most on city power? (I'm fine without, I'm currently off grid and fine with running a generator and charging batteries)

What about buying something with a dry cabin for, say, 10K or under?

And anyone have good ideas for a block heater for a Deuce or 5-ton up there? (As a daily driver possibly)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks