• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Greetings from Colorado

TheRealFeeny

Hi everyone! My name is Feeny, been looking for a cheap vehicle to take camping and in to the outdoors. Found these ex-military tricks and fell in love. Plan on spending a lot of time here learning and waiting for a good one to show up in Colorado.

Any suggestion on where to look or specifies on what I should be looking for are welcome!

Sirblissfull

Welcome to the site.

There is a large group of MVPA = "Military Vehicle Preservation Society" guys in your area you might want to meet up with them. I am sure they have some vehicles you could inspect and see for yourself what would work best for you.

If your planning on camping IN the truck a 2.5 ton M185, M109 or M292 comes with a box on it. The larger 5 tons M820 expanding box same as on the M292 are great I own 2. However the fuel consumption with prices currently will give you sticker shock.

Any of these with some work can be turned into a very comfortable camper a lot of the guys just use cargo covers as tents on their vehicles.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Welcome Feeny. Are you Irish?
If so...all you need is an M109/M185A3, some taters and some "hooch water"...well, maybe some blankets or sleeping bags.:lol:

Welcome Sir...and if you ain't Irish...the above still applies!![thumbzup]

TheRealFeeny

Welcome Feeny. Are you Irish?
If so...all you need is an M109/M185A3, some taters and some "hooch water"...well, maybe some blankets or sleeping bags.:lol:

Welcome Sir...and if you ain't Irish...the above still applies!![thumbzup]
I am Irish! mmmmm taters.... :jumpin:

I don't plan on sleeping IN the truck, just want to use it to haul gear up for car camping trips. Thanks for the replies already!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I am Irish! mmmmm taters.... :jumpin:
I don't plan on sleeping IN the truck, just want to use it to haul gear up for car camping trips. Thanks for the replies already!
Can I profile or what!!!

I betcha when you see Zouts's thread about the M109 camper you will change your mind and make a camper and pull a trailer to haul stuff:grd:

TheRealFeeny

Wow, just wasted my entire Saturday morning reading Zout's m109 thread. That is inspiring.

41cl8m5 thanks for the link, I will try to come down some time.

TheRealFeeny

OK I was originally looking at M35's but after talking to many people am thinking they might be a little too big. I want something big that I can load up with gear for a camping or backpacking trip, my plan is to use it with the local scout troop, they always need room transporting gear on camping trips. It also needs to do well off road.

Anyone got any other ideas? Smaller than m35, bigger than a jeep.

Madfarmersson

Welcome from a Stratton colorado. Yes the M35 is big, but I highly reccomend it,:mrgreen:
I love mine. I also just bought a military blazer this last weekend from Gamble-Perez-Auto Sales in Lamar Colorado they were very good to work with.[thumbzup] they have pickups and blazers.
Ranchers supply also in Lamar has M35's but a little expensive.:grd:

Madfarmersson.

steelandcanvas

Feeny my Lad, The MVCC will be having a meeting in Sedalia on May 6th. Chris gave you the link, I'll give it to you again. Bring a folding chair. Come on over and talk to some of the Guys, they will give you alot of information and steer you in the right direction. As said before, you are about to embark on something that has no known cure.
MVCC Online: Home

TheRealFeeny

I have emailed the president of MVCC and he has been a huge help already. I can't make it to any meetings till school is out for summer, little to much of a drive to Sedalia from Fort Collins. But I plan on coming to as much as I can over summer!

TheRealFeeny

Over summer I will be living in Littleton, haha. And traveling to England, Scotland and Wales. But I will come by some time :jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks