• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Greetings From Massachusetts...

MassMark

I come to this forum after a somber weekend. My close friend passed away suddenly from heart failure - he was 43. Jay was an amazing firend. When you were in his presence, it was painfully obvious that you were in the company of a genius. The things he invented and developed were amazing to see and hear about and the fact that he is gone has left a gap....

The reason I post here, is that Jay passed before we could fix a problem with his Ferret, (Ferret (00EA77), and we are desperately seeking a solution so it can be driven in a parade late this summer in his memory. We will then spruce it up and present it to his son, (10 years old), who Jay left behind. If anyone has any suggestions, or knows anyone in the New England area, (I'm in the Berkshires, the Ferret is in Northern CT), please let me know.

The nearest I can figure is that it's a terrible issue within the carb. Jay did do a conversion from manual fuel, to electric fuel pump. He was driving it one day, (used it as a daily driver some weeks), fuel rushed through the floor pan between his feet. Needless to say, it was 'unsettling'. When we worked on it, we disconnected the fuel line from the carb, stuck it into a soda bottle, turned the key, charged the fuel pump and as we expected, fuel trickled gently into the bottle. When we attached it to the carb again, (6 cyl RR) and turned the key, fuel began rushing through the Ferret again. As a test, drained the oil from the engine, left the drain plug free, turned the key again and amazingly, fuel poured through the drain plug hole at an alarming rate. We believe we have a spare carb in the parts bin, but are curious as to what we should be looking for. I spoke to someone in England how said there was some sort of a 'bellows' in the carb that could be stuck in the open position. I was wondering if anyone has ever seen this issue and if it could be a result of the electric fuel pump conversion?

In any case, thank you in advance for any guidance. In the meantime, I get to enjoy what looks to be a wonderful site!

Rest easy Jay, you are missed my friend...

JayFerret_zps5079010e.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

215Dave

Sorry to hear about your loss. You guys will honor him well with what you have planned for his son. This site is loaded with information and I'm positive another member will help you problem solve in the above mentioned forum. Welcome aboard!

MassMark

Thank you all for the welcome...I appreciate the advice as well and will post in the proper forum. Thanks as well for the link. We hope to troubleshoot this issue in a couple of weeks when the dust has settled. On the humorous side, I've never seen anyone scramble so fast as Jay when he had a river of fuel flowing between his feet...Must have set a record for exiting a Ferret through the drivers hatch... :)