• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Greetings from Michigan-new M1008 owner

CSFJ

Greetings to everyone. I figured it's finally time to introduce myself and mt truck. My name's Chris, and I actually joined a couple months ago. I've been going through all the faq's and stickied threads concerning these old CUCV's. Been a huge help so far. Picked up an '84 M1008 back in March of this year, and it's still in process of being sorted out. The truck shows 86,xxx on the odo, and has a really clean body. Appears to have spent some time with the Mississippi forestry dept, before being used as a brushfire truck by a dept. down there. I'll be starting a build thread here shortly, where I'll go into greater detail.

CSFJ

Lol. I'll try to get a couple pics up tonight. Thought I had a few on my phone, but must have transfered them to the desktop.

Cape Coastie

CWO4 ENG/MSS, USCG, RET.
Welcome Chris from Cape Cod, MA. That is a great looking truck. My son is kinda on the hunt for one like that. Hope you enjoy it and this site

CSFJ

Thanks, everyone. This has been quite the learning experience so far. While this is my fourth squarebody that I've owned in the last 20 some odd years, it's the first diesel that I've ever messed with. It seemed somewhat daunting at first, but I've really been amazed at how simple these engines are.

someoldmoose

Hi Chris ! ! I am a Chris too. First - WELCOME to the asylum from the Southcentral PA division ! Are those ACTUAL cab corners on a 1008 ? Not sure I 've seen any in decades. Beautiful truck !

Radio Edit : Just eye-balled yer pics closer. NOW I know why the cab corners are still there - FIRE DEPT. on door. We Firemens LOOOOOOOVE to keep out girls clean, ( keeps us "occupied " between runs AND we get to play with our hoses ) , until we NEED tuh gettem very, very dirty. After which we clean 'em again. Again, gorgeous. Great SCORE !

Last edited:

CSFJ

Hi Chris ! ! I am a Chris too. First - WELCOME to the asylum from the Southcentral PA division ! Are those ACTUAL cab corners on a 1008 ? Not sure I 've seen any in decades. Beautiful truck !
Lol. Thanks. And yes those appear to be the original corners. It's just as clean underneath (well, except for the normal oil leaks). I picked it up out of Wisconsin. Found it on Craigslist, a couple of guys out ther started bringing them up from down south. This one appears to have spent a good deal of time in Mississippi. About a month after I picked this up, they sent pics of the next one they had. It was even cleaner. The interior looked new. They must have found a honey hole down south somewhere, because all the ones they were bringing up were ex-fire dept trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks