• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Greetings from Okinawa, Japan

NEW SS guy here!

I'm returning to CONUS from the lovely island of Okinawa in July '18 and have started to shop for a new farm truck. It didn't take long for me to decide that a big ole piece of green iron was more my style than the pickups I see on the market, and besides I've got a mid '90s Chevy pickup on the farm if I need it. Unfortunately my unexpected desire for a 6x6 has turned into this sort of sickness with symptoms that include excessive time on the SS forum, reading downloads of TMs, and watching 6x6 YouTube videos. I am pretty sure the only cure is owning one of the beasties.

I've about decided that the truck for me is either an M35A3 or M35A2 cargo version. I really like the M109A3 and A4 van versions better but can't justify one of those as a farm truck.

I do know how to turn a wrench and pull the trigger on an airgun, but I don't want to spend my time reconditioning/repairing a truck to get it safely and reliably drivable/usable. I'm retired and I can sort of kind of discern the sun setting in the distance and would rather spend my time getting there driving and doing PM (including required servicing) as opposed to major reconditioning/repair work on a truck.

So, I need (want) as reliable a truck as I can get. Though I like the M35A2, I'd probably be better off with an M35A3 plus a trailer. I'd like to get most of the bells and whistles on the truck since I think I'll probably be spending a fair amount of time in this truck both on and off road (I'm speculating 2 or 3 days a week usage).

My little farm is in central Mississippi so I'd like to hear from SS'sers in the area and from especially from anyone who wants to share their ideas/opinion about what to buy and where to shop.

Why did this have to happen to me?!?!

BenRoberts

Certified insane
Hello from Ohio. Member on here 98g had a pretty nice duce I think he was parting with might check with him, great guy to work with.

snowtrac nome

Welcome from Nome Ak and Thank you for your service. I have been retired from uncle Sam about 10 years now, I cut my teeth on the old m44 series trucks. I had the sickness from basic, ETS'd after my first enlistment and came home. Six months later I got to missing the whistle from the multifuel and the smell of canvas seats and joined the guard. stayed there the rest of my 20 10 years after retirement I now own my own piece of big green iron.

twisted60

Road trips, ok I picked up my 5 ton in Texas and drove it to Florida, averaged 8 MPG. As for cost of ownership, just like any older truck, things get tired of working and break, you can find a lot of spare parts on SS or the "bay", I started to stock pile a few parts I figured I might need and over time I have used most of them. The truck is very easy to drive, just big, does not fit in most parking spots...so I park far away and get some exercise. As for the Engine its a cummins and parts are available, just do your normal maintenance and she'll last a long time. Only real issue I've had was joe snuffy tightened down a few bolts way too tight and they snapped getting them loose, a few minor air issues but the TM's are good for troubleshooting.
As I said I love my 5 ton, getting her a little brother, just bought a HMMWV and waiting for the paperwork to clear. They will look nice together, now to figure out how to drive them both at same time...

FloridaAKM

Welcome & thank you for your service. Small farm in central Mississippi, when I was in college in my younger years, I worked for a farmer that had 4 Deuces that we hauled cut silage in the fall or corn or what ever he was harvesting. He had 6000 acres so there was lots to do. A Deuce or a 5 ton would work for what you want, just find a good one & get started with having more fun with military trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks