• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grinding noise when trying to start M1009

wisconsinz

So this nasty grinding thing JUST happened to me when I tried to start it. Only thing I had done since I last parked was an LMC headlight wiring kit. I looked under the truck and found that a cracked starter bolt had fallen out (i'm assuming after this failed starting attempt). Recently replaced a bad stock starter with a Chinese gear reduction starter and had maybe 10 starts with it before this happened. I used the correct bracket for this model, as well.

1) I'm guessing I need to disengage the Bendix before I can see what happened?

2) I will have to retap the hole on the starter block?

3) And then what? I replaced the flexplate last year, and it lined up fine with the old starter and everything. Wrong torque? Use new bolts?Rebuild the old starter? Why would this have happened?

thanks and sorry for not entirely comprehending all this

Last edited by a moderator:

Barrman

Just remove the remaining bolt and the bracket. The starter should come on off without issue. Of course the flywheel cover and wiring should be removed as well.

Did you use new bolts when you put on the new starter? If not, that might be what caused it to break since you said the proper bracket was installed.

Once you get the starter off, you will then get to figure out how to pull the remains of the bolt. Most of the time a broken starter bolt will come out with just a pick or something similar used to unscrew it. With the starter gone, there is no more load holding the remain tight.

rsh4364

On 2 occasions I have had broken starter bolts stuck in the block, both times I used a left twist drill bit, drilled into center of the bolts and they spun right out. I have learned to climb under truck and check bolts and support bracket every 4-6 weeks just to be safe.

Last edited:

nyoffroad

The left hand bit works good, just make sure it's sharp so it gets a good bite. If that fails try a sharp center punch and tap with a hammer with the punch held at an angle to unscrew it.

cucvrus

Most times the bolts are loose. They must be torqued. And always replace the bolts each time you remove them. I have never had any break. My luck is good because I am always very cautious. I bought many with stripped / incorrect and broken bolts. But make sure you use the correct bolts. Anything in the 6.2 block is metric on a cucv with one exception. The 3/8" bell housing bolts. Everything else is metric. Starter bolts are M10 X 1.5 and the support bolt to the block is M8 X 1.25. except no substitutes. Good Luck.