• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grooving my 11.00's for snow

1stDeuce

Ok, I've checked out all the grooving threads and come up mostly empty... Looking for some ideas or opinions about grooving my new (Eeek!) 11.00's for winter service this year.

I am not oblivious to the likelihood that this will also greatly improve wet weather performance, which is somewhat lacking. Any difference in wear is likely to go unnoticed by me.

So with inspiration from Gringeltaube, I did some Paint art... I should add that I'm going to try using a circular saw to cut about 1/4" into the tread as the designs indicate. Some of my college friends did this to get a little better winter performance from cheap mud tires... If you go fast, it works pretty well from what I remember. (I have an old 9.00 to practice on, so if it doesn't work, I'll pony up for a grooving iron.)

Give me some thoughts... I think you can save images from here.. Feel free to steal the orig and mark it up with some white lines of your own!
Chris

Attachments

Last edited:

tm america

i like the third design just looks cooler.why not just get so xls to put on it they are way better in snow -rain - anything then if you are putting the truck in a show you can switch back to the ndts

1stDeuce

Per some people on here, XL's aren't THAT much better in snow or rain... Hence people groove those too. Honestly, I wanted 11.00 XL's, but there were none to be had. :( I really wanted Firestone T813's, but there really were NONE of those floating in surplus land. I got the NDT's for $75 each NEW with flap... Besides, where's the fun in buying tires that are good in snow when I can improve what I have?? :)

As an aside, I believe the BEST snow tire that you can get surplus has to be the Goodyear MVT... Our winter test site runs them on loaders and snowblowers... I've never seen one spin, let alone get stuck... They are a bit wide for the stock deuce wheels tho, and I couldn't find any of those either...

C

firebuilder

Discount Tire will sipe tires, but I don't know if there machine will handle tires that large. You can do it yourself, but the machine will ensure a constant depth and even spacing. Of your pictures, I would go with 3, but I don't think you need to alternate the angle in the center.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you are moding the tires for winter traction, you need the grooves perpendicular to the direction you want to go. As you have the treads pictured, that would be left and right. It won't look as cool, but work 3x better.

tm america

i have xls on my truck and i think they are great in rain and snow i can pull my car trailer loaded through 2ft of snow without even locking the front in.ive never have a problem sliding in rain either .you can sift the ndts all you want and they will still be a bias tire which is alot of the reason they suck in the snow and rain.not to mention ndts are a hard compound tire which doesnt help either

pjpiche1

I have never tried to groove my tires with a circular saw. I have cut alot of rubber mats with one. I have found that a fine tooth sheet metal blade put on backwards works very well.

goldneagle

I think your method is dangerous! Why risk hurting yourself just to save a few $$$! Either get XL tires or get these done professionally. If you end up cutting yourself your medical bill will not justify the saving on doing it yourself.2cents

1stDeuce

Again, if I could find/afford them, I'd be running the XL's, as indeed they are a better starting point. I'm not. I'm making do with NDT's. :)

Gimpy, I know what you're talking about... But I'm not sure how well it would work really... The angles would be a compromise vs. cutting across, but I think a compromise would help greatly with steering too... ?? Oof, these do not look so cool... Hmm, how about adding a lateral to the #3... Any of these would require me to buy a groover i think... Don't think a circ saw is going to like cutting along the tread for a distance... For ease of cutting, it looks like I'm going with the 3rd design, with angles across the center bar and cuts lined up on the bars... Time for cutting up my old spare I guess!

C

Attachments

Alredneck

Banned
I like the third pic as well but is more of a visual preferance. I am not a big NDT fan and love the radial tires out there and would highly reccomend them for more than the aided traction in adverse weather.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a difference between "grooving" and "siping" (Sperry deck shoe type).
I have manually siped all my 1100-20 tires on the deuce for improved wet pavement traction. For snow and ice I use chains....if no chains, air down.
With chains, the tires don't need to be aired down and remember, add weight for more traction, more weight=more traction.

The image of the left front tire on the 8x8 below, is a military retread pattern, which shows both groving and siping.

Attachments

DicedDeuceMan

Again, if I could find/afford them, I'd be running the XL's, as indeed they are a better starting point. I'm not. I'm making do with NDT's. :)

Gimpy, I know what you're talking about... But I'm not sure how well it would work really... The angles would be a compromise vs. cutting across, but I think a compromise would help greatly with steering too... ?? Oof, these do not look so cool... Hmm, how about adding a lateral to the #3... Any of these would require me to buy a groover i think... Don't think a circ saw is going to like cutting along the tread for a distance... For ease of cutting, it looks like I'm going with the 3rd design, with angles across the center bar and cuts lined up on the bars... Time for cutting up my old spare I guess!

C
I groved mine years ago, double lines to match your pick, then double lines on the angled ones too. not angled , but inline with tread.. Works wonders in snow... good luck, stay away from circular saws, and chainsaws.... yes I have used a chainsaw (years ago) for cutting Tractor tires on my mud truck.

Reactions: emr

1stDeuce

Nope. I had to go north for work before I got to it. I'm back down now, and I'll likely get it done in the next two weeks... Of course I'll post pics... Kinda want to wait 'till I get it up there to see how it does first, then groove and repeat... Not sure it's worth the wait, but at least I'll be working inside there, vs in my driveway here. :)

tm america

its not just about the tread pattern bias ply tires are not as good in snow and ice just by designbut its all about making an improvement so i'm interested to see how it works out for you

dragonwagon

I have played quite a bit with civilian tires , regroving , siping .

Snow and ice is simple this , the more minor groves , notches the better they work . Regarding siping i have found if you take a box cutter , razor knife and make small cuts in the lugs it really helps on hard pack snow or ice . When you make the cuts you wont even notice them . After driving it a few miles the small cuts will open a bit and look very much like siping . No cost just some time invested .

For snow of a few inches or deeper then larger grooves from a tire groover works well . pattern ? not as important as simple having more edges to grip .

IF you have any old - junk tires to practice grooving on is nice , you can play a bit and try different patterns mostly for a cool look :D

Gunner0311

Tire Grooving

Okay-I bought one of those heated tire grooving tools(110v) and tried to groove
my 11:00x20 NDTs on my 5-Ton.

I was basically trying to angle cut across the center solid section of the tread to
open up a channel for water to escape and give better wet road traction.

End result=

It took me an hour to groove about sixteen inches of tire, and I was beginning to
bend the tool! The amount of force required to cut the rubber was severed and
the tool still only moved at a very slow pace. I gave up when I calculated it would
take me all day to groove one tire!

Can anyone recommend a tire grooving tool that actually works....:rant:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks