• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grote 8202 LED INSTALL- Turn signal Flickers

Lethalhummer

:tank:
Both Left hand and right hand assemblies have an issue when the turn signal is activated. During signal operation, the assembly will only produce a mild flicker. I verified ground conductivity and wire configuration upon installation.
The rear brake lights and turn signals (old bulb style work perfectly)

I reviewed several articles from other steel soldiers forum that said to buy the upgrade LED flasher.
in which I Did. However, even with the new signal flasher, there was no change in the discrepancy.

Also, does anyone know if each assembly has an automatic voltage regulator?

Note: This is installed on a M998 HMMWV and rear old bulb configuration taillights have NOT been changed yet.
I was thinking since the left front and left rear would have the same input for turn signal that there might be voltage leaking back to the LED light not letting it go full off and full back on during signal operation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

humve.jpg

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need to see what flasher you put in...you may need to put in the rear led's to affect the change.
i don't mismatch them..if I go LED, I go all LED.
you could unlpug the rear light bulbs and try it...that would create an even draw. They make a replacement LED bulb for the rear..keeps the old housing.

papakb

Search eBay for "10-30v LED 7528" The BA15D is the specification for the base pattern, 15mm diameter, dual contacts. I like to run these in the trailers too because I don't have to change bulbs when I pull it with the HMMWV or the 880.

Kurt

Last edited:

papakb

For the turn signal switch you want to search for BA9S LEDs. I have had problems with them not working in all turn signal switches though. I put them in both my 151A1 and HMMWV where they worked fine but when I put one in a friends 151A2 it wouldn't flash. Since they are diodes they are polarity sensitive and the lamp socket in some turn signal switches needs to have the socket wiring reversed. Luckily its a pretty easy job. Incandescent bulbs don't care about the polarity.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Last edited:

Dharpe82

The LED lights don't put out enough power to activated the flasher. If you do half led and half regular it will work fine. Otherwise you need to put in a resistor to pull more power in each side to activate the flasher.

Last edited:

Lethalhummer

@Dharpe82 thanks for your interest. I solved the problem by installing a 24v led bulb in the turn signal mechanical flasher (located common to the steering wheel). I also want to note that I installed the updated flasher control as well.

Mayapple

The LED lights don't put out enough power to activated the flasher. If you do half led and half regular it will work fine. Otherwise you need to put in a resistor to pull more power in each side to activate the flasher.
What ohm rating do you need to use for the resistor?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk