• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ground Bonding

csheath

Been reading up on the ground bonding question. Just wanting to create a thread with this title as opposed to the info being buried in other subjects.

The best I can understand is when I have my generator connected to my house which has the ground and neutral bonded in the panel I should remove the bonding strap on the generator.

connections.jpg

If I am operating my generator on my load bank through an unbonded panel I should connect the bonding strap. Or does it matter if I leave it disconnected for this?

TrailLifeBill

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your load bank is 208 or 240 only, I don't believe it would matter since neutral is unused. However, if you have any 120v component in your load bank (a fan for example) - you need to bond neutral to ground.

csheath

If your load bank is 208 or 240 only, I don't believe it would matter since neutral is unused. However, if you have any 120v component in your load bank (a fan for example) - you need to bond neutral to ground.
My load bank does use a 120v fan. I guess I will try to remember to put it back on for testing and remove it after so I don't forget.

Ken_86gt

In general the neutral ground bond is located at the first means of disconnect or a service entrance. How ever you end up connecting things you should only have it bonded in one location or you will get circulating ground currents and potential safety issues- you could get shocked by touching the ground. Of course the code is the the only correct answer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Always ground.
I repeat, always ground.

House Hook-up=
Main electrical house panel has a complete ground system setup. A generator will use that when connected to said house panel. Bonding strap dis-connected. The ground and neutral are bonded already in the house panel. You use 4 wires to connect to house.

Middle of field hook-up=
Ground rod, wire from rod to ground on generator. Ground and Neutral bonded. Bonding strap connected.

Load Bank Hook-up=
Ground rod, wire from rod to ground on generator. Ground and Neutral bonded. Bonding strap connected

Always ground. :shock:

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ground rod at generator when hooked to house?

It'd be easy to drive a rod where I keep the trailer parked and hook it up for when load banked. But lazy me would like to just leave it connected...

csheath

I shouldn't need to disconnect my ground rod at the generator when I remove the bonding strap should I? I have a copper rod tied to the ground terminal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks