• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ground wire getting Hot

apoc34

Hello guys, first off great forum. Alot of great information here. I bought my 1986 m1009 last year and absolutely love it.

Last week I parked it in the front driveway and today I went out and tried to start it. It hit a few times and then wouldnt start. I then noticed smoke coming out of the hood. I looked around and noticed the ground wire coming from the front battery was smoking and melted the insulation around it. I looked all over trying to see if the ground wire was loose or had any shorts.

I took the battery out, looked everything over, even took a wire brush to all parts that was grounded to the frame etc... Needless to say it didnt help. When I try to start it, it cranks over, doesnt start and then the ground wires get extremely hot.

One thing I did notice, my generator gage will make a clicking sound and go up and down at random times, normally when its cold and stops for the most part when it warms up. It has always done this from day one, it always seemed to stop after a few minutes of running. Not sure if that has anything to do with my problem but I thought I would throw it out there.

Have any of you had this issue before? Or do you have any idea what might be the issue. I have never had any issues with this m1009 before is has always been extremely reliable.

Thank you in advanced,

dstang97

take a test light and connect the negative to the alligator clip. With the ground off the battery complete the loop with the test light. That will tell you if you have a short.

stampy

Also look for corrosion around the ground at the battery and between batteries and where it mounts to the frame. Sand untill silver or copper and lube with dielectric grease and refit. May need to check where the starter grounds to the frame also

Last edited:

markg

i have had this happen before. the main ground strap from the bus panel to the rear intake manifold is loose. it is mounted on a manifold bolt stud. you'll have to hold the bottom bolt with a wrench while you remove the top nut. the starter circuit is looking for a ground, not finding the main one it looks for an alternate route. thanks. mark

Last edited:

DokWatson

Yeah, what the guy above said. There should be a strap from the ground junction block to the engine. A temporary fix would be to attach the ground cable from the battery directly to the engine, alternator bracket bolt is a good spot.

southdave

i have had this happen before. the main ground strap from the bus panel to the rear intake manifold is loose. it is mounted on a manifold bolt stud. you'll have to hold the bottom bolt with a wrench while you remove the top nut. the starter circuit is looking for a ground, not finding the main one it looks for an alternate route. thanks. mark
Me too dittio & ect.. x2

apoc34

Thanks guys, I will look into this and see if this is loose. Right now there is 2 ground cables coming off the front battery, one goes straight the frame next to the engine and another one goes up front near the battery to the frame as well. Tomorrow I will take a look,, I really hope thats all is wrong, I hate for Mrs Green to be down :)

apoc34

Would that ground being loose or having a short in it cause it not to start? I would think that even though there was a ground issue as long as the starter was working that it would still start. Right now it will not start, but turns over fine.

3dAngus

Unlikely, but get the grounding fix down first, then you will know the answer, and you can go to step 2 for problem resolution.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without a good engine to body ground connection, your IP shutoff may not have a complete circuit. It needs a good ground. So yes, that may be your issue.

apoc34

OK, I found out what it was. On the firewall you have 2 power strips, one is for the positive wires and the bottom one is for the negative wires. The middle negative wire was really loose, soon as i tightened that up she fired right up. Thank you guys for guiding me in the right direction.

Found out another major issue though while I was checking everything out. My power steering bracket is totally broke :( . I have no idea how I have been driving everywhere with a broken power steering bracket. I had the mechanic shop tighten my belts up this winter and before I took it into them I know for sure that bracket was not broke. I bet you they torked down on it while tighten the belts up and snapped my bracket in 2 places. I have no idea what else could cause thick metal to snap in 2 places. My power steering pump still works great.

Again thanks guys for the help.

JUNKYARDJOHN

THAT DOES IT..... I'm putting about 5 or 6 more ground straps on mine. Maybe that will help clear up my little spontanios combustion problem. It's been two weeks & I still haven't got my courage worked up enough to hook the batterys back up. John