• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grounding issue??? Ideas needed

choll

This was is strange for me. My 1009 was running perfect no issues at all. Im on the road in Gary indiana and the truck was in las vegas. It sat for about 2 weeks and a transport company picked it up to ship to me. At pickup the truck driver had no issues starting it. It arrived in Gary and it seemed like the batteries were dead. We tried to jump it did not work. While trying to jump, the grounding cable on the front battery the plastic started to melt. I think no problem I have a heavier gauge wire I ll just replace it, which I did. So we try again, when cranking we notice a small amount of smoke coming from the drivers side top of the raidiator. The new wire I just put on is a little warm. After looking at the issue I notice the corner of the raidiator is touching the body, the spot that was smoking was getting hot during the cranking of the motor, I fix that issue. Here come s the wierd one, after fixing the rad I go to crank it again this time I notice smoke coming off the upper oil cooling line, I touch it, it is so hot I have a small blister on my finger. Thats where I left it as it was getting dark and need to think about it some more.

The batteries are new last month, and the truck never had a starting issue it would start on about one turn of the startrer. Today Im going to change the grounding cable to the block, put a bigger gauge grounding wire to the front battery. Any more ideas on what might be going on????
Thanks
Chuck

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the main ground wire from the 24v Positive Terminal block ( 12v for you since your conversion) to the engine block is loose/dirty/bad.

The other grounds are suppling the ground and are not big enough to handle the load. That is why they are heating up.

choll

Ill change it today. Im at a disadvantage right now playing parking lot mechanic all my spare parts are in las vegas. I just put in the parts I thought I might need while on the road, belts, hoses, fluids, glow plugs and a glow plug circuit board. I would never have thought I would have this kind of issue. Plus I only have a small "road" tool box with me.

This is part of the fun when you are driveng a 30 year old vehicle.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Buy a set of normal automotive jumper cables. Use them to temporarily supply a new ground between the battery and the frame, or between the engine to the frame, or between the engine to the battery, until you find what works. Then you will know where your cable problem is. Or, use them as a temporary band-aid until you can fix it properly.

choll

Got it fixed today. I put a new grounding cable from the terminal block to the motor, cleaned the mesh type grounding cable and connections, ran an additional grounding cable from the rear battery to the frame, and replaced the front battery grounding cable. Starts perfect no heat on the cables that I could feel. Thanks for all the help.

Chuck

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great news! Glad you got it fixed. :beer:

Did you find a bad or broken cable?

ryan77

I think the pollution in Gary caused the ground cable to get corroded!!!!! Your lucky you didnt get jacked in Gary for the copper in your battery cables!!!! Glad you got it fixed!!!:beer: