• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GSP's stupid question thread!

GSP

Now that ive added this beautiful lady to my harem, and given it the once over i have stupid questions..

pic1.jpg

1. Why wont this plug go on and what is the black wire?

pic2.jpg

2. On the left is a glow plug button and the right is a start button... does this mean i dont need to do the doghead mod?

pic3.jpgpic4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First off, is the truck still 24v or has it been converted to 12v? I see A/C lines under the alternator.

The black wire with the white strip is a ground wire for the STE/ICE diagnostic system. Not needed for everyday use. It attaches to the ground post on the alternator. From the looks of the picture, it attaches with the orange wire.

Why the two wire excitor plug won't snap into place is anyone guess. It may need to be replaced. ~$5 at any local parts house

Now to the starter. Why are the GP and starter buttons installed? I wouldn't trust how they are wire. I am sure the starter relay is still in place. Assume that the DH relay modification needs to be done.

And lastly, we like to have all picture posted here and not on a outside server like photobucket.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More picture of the starter relay bracket (under the center of the dash) would be good

GSP

Ok.. im not sure what im supposed to be taking a pic of.. i dont see the part thats in dogheads sticky..? But this is under the dash..

2013-08-11_21-08-39_168.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ryan77

Holly smokes! At least she has ac!! Has this truck been converted to 12volt?? Can u take a wide shot under hood?

eagle4g63

The plug by the alternator might just be worn out.....the 2 wires in that plug are for, 1:exciter wire to make the alternator "charge", and the second is used for a volt gauge(or light).

You can tell which is which with a meter, or a redneck power bulb(a marker light socket with a bulb in it)....put meter(or one wire from light) on ground and the other lead in one of the wires of the plug......turn on key, if it lights up it is the exciter wire, if not try the other.

If you look at the plug and the alternator you can figure out which wire goes where, take them out of the plug and slip them on the blades......

phil2968

The black wire would have been the ground for the original isolated ground alternator. Looks like the alternator has been changed. Is this truck still 24v starting? With two alternators? Do I see air conditioning lines in the second pic? Lord knows what has been done to this truck!

ryan77

Typically the law enforcement/fire dept ones are the most butchered due to all the equipment and idiot mechanics! Ive ended up replacing the whole harness before due to bubba type wiring!!

K9Vic

Typically the law enforcement/fire dept ones are the most butchered due to all the equipment and idiot mechanics! Ive ended up replacing the whole harness before due to bubba type wiring!!
True, My current one they did not know about the service light switch and cut the headlight harness trying to figure out why there where not headlights. The switch was off and after I replaced everything flipped the SL switch on and pull the headlight switch and everything works.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your truck wiring has been butchered. The starter relay "should" be where the red arrow is. With the way your wiring is, we will try to help but you are basically on your own.

View attachment 445694

Please do not use PhotoBucket to post you pictures here. Use the tools available to you and download your picture directly to this site.

GSP

Sorry its taken so long to get back to yall.. the starter and gp are still 24v. Can someone post a pic of the back of drivers side alt. With key on i get no gen1 light. The bulb is good and i have battery voltage to the red wire in the pigtail. It checked good off the truck

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here you go.

DSC02431.JPG

The two-pin plug has to be plugged in in order for the GEN1 light to work. The plug completes the circuit for the light.

Make sure that you have a good ground wire going from the alternator ground terminal to the engine. Looks like yours has been spliced with an orange wire. Without a good ground the alternator will not work.

Last edited:

K9Vic

Sorry its taken so long to get back to yall.. the starter and gp are still 24v. Can someone post a pic of the back of drivers side alt. With key on i get no gen1 light. The bulb is good and i have battery voltage to the red wire in the pigtail. It checked good off the truck
Glow plugs are 12 volt, only the starter is 24 volt.

If your GP system is still connected to the resistor bank you can bypass it to the 12v buss or 12v side of the battery. This prolongs the life of the glow plugs is one is bad, or one goes bad. Search 'resistor bypass' to learn more about this.

GSP

Ill check voltage at the gp tonight i was going off what the previous owner said.. the whole harness to my alt was cut and extended to make room for the ac compressor i think.. ill also check those splices

GSP

Ok..lol.. i checked the glow plug voltage by checking the voltage at one of the female plugs. When i push the button it starts at 8.5 and goes to 13.2 in about 10 sec. I imagine thats not right.. checked the alt again and with key OFF i get 12.4 at red wire in pigtail. Same with key ON never power to the other side of pigtail. Running i get 12.2 on the front battery and 11.5 on the large wire bolted to the alt. Back battery shows 13.5 and across i have 25.9.. is it hooked up right?

P.s. sorry about using photobucket but i cant get the forum tool to work on my phone and i dont have a home computer..