• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Guess what broke while I was changing out my beat up and swollen glow plugs?

Merle has been very reluctant now in cold weather, and we have been having single digit temps since I got back from Afghanistan two weeks ago. I had several swollen glow plugs, so I ordered the handy tool from JJ&A Racing. I got almost all the beat up plugs out (some looked like they had been in there since 1984, and two of the blade connectors were broken off completely!), but #7 snapped the electrode off on me.
image.jpg
Of course, it's on the passenger side, under the battery tray and behind all the hoses...so it's easy to get at...NOT! After reading up, I am assuming that I have to remove the injector and fish it out with a pair of needle nose? Sound about right?

Godspilot

Was working on a 93 7.3 Ford and the bottom half if the glow plug came off inside the head!:shock: Now the heads must be removed. Its a good Idea to change them out once every other year. So glad you have only the injector to remove 20140121_094736.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After that use a vacuum to clean out any left overs.
By taping a smaller diameter hose into the vacuum hose you can reach inside the precup and get more fragments out. Think of it as a drinking straw. You can get the last drop at the bottom of the cup.

OK - I went thru the -30 and followed all the steps to pull the injector (disconnected everything and even took out the battery tray so I could get more room), but can't get any purchase on the injector to unscrew it. It is so tight in there, nothing can get on / around it without bumping into the manifold bolts. Is there some kind of crazy, one-off crowfoot wrench that goes to GM 6.2 injectors?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Snap-On does make a injector specific socket for the application. It even has flats on the top to use a wrench on. Pricey but worth it!

MatthewH

If you have access to a lathe, get a cheapo socket and turn down the end. That's what Andrewh did, handy little bugger.

Last edited:
OK - got the injector out (30mm deep well impact socket from NAPA), and after 30min on my belly, snaked into the engine bay with a drop light and some hemostats, I managed to extract this beast.
image.jpgimage.jpg
Now I know why it snapped off - look at how nasty that end is! All I have to do now is put everything back together exactly like it came out. :shock:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no in or out.

ryan77

Doesnt matter thats just the return ports! Put it back in torqued to proper specs based off the TM!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks