• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gun racks in the humvee

LabandCitori525

I used the gun-grabber mount off of Cabelas, i extended it until it matched the stock bolt mounts. It works great! Plus it protects the butt of the gun from boots and the barrel from wear and scratches. The old cast iron latch style m-16 mounts went in the trash.

KansasBobcat

Good picture TM 9-2320-280-34P figure 196. There are 2 types of barrel clamps. The later adjustable one will not allow the windshield to fold. You only need it for M203 on M16. These all require drilling of dash and floorboards.

KansasBobcat

The ones 86humv has are the later style. All you would need are a few fasteners. I would buy the sets as the butt stock brackets seem harder to find. Installation has been discussed on G503.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello. I have just bought all four of these mounts. can't really see how its bolted to the floor in the one picture (its to dark) also how is the back held in place? I see the mount for the butt stock but thats it. Also the M16A1 is the native gun for the humvee and these mounts?
I have pictures of the front in my thread Juan's M998. I have not yet taken pictures of the back. There is a block that mounts to the B-Pillar sideways using 2 of the b-pillar through bolt holes and the clamp with bracket bolts to the block. I think the originals were designed for the m16 rifle of the time.

shawnshumvee

I have pictures of the front in my thread Juan's M998. I have not yet taken pictures of the back. There is a block that mounts to the B-Pillar sideways using 2 of the b-pillar through bolt holes and the clamp with bracket bolts to the block. I think the originals were designed for the m16 rifle of the time.
Ok post a few pics if you can. In the mean time I will post a few pictures also. So the brackets we have are for the AR and not the M16? I have hard copies of the TM's and i can fine much info on these mounts. Here's the ones I got.
IMG_5973.jpgIMG_5972.jpg

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok post a few pics if you can. In the mean time I will post a few pictures also. So the brackets we have are for the AR and not the M16? I have hard copies of the TM's and i can fine much info on these mounts. Here's the ones I got.
View attachment 713843View attachment 713842
AR and M16 rifles are the same dimensions. The difference will be A1 vs A2 and length of pull.

M4 is obviously dimensionally different. Usually you can make an M4 fit something made for an M16A1/M16A2/Ar15 by adjusting the stock.

I've had success putting modern M4 rifles into military rifle racks made for M16A1 rifles. I have not yet put any rifles into the holders in my hmmwv.

BLK HMMWV

The front mounts you have shown in your last picture are the newer style.
The floor brackets mount in the same place whether you have the new or old style mounts.
The upper clamp is different between the new and old style. You have the newer style in the picture. They are adjustable.
They do keep the weapon at an angle to allow your feet to get past them.
If they were to close to the seat or door opening you would have trouble getting in and out .
The original rear mounts hung off the lower metal channel behind the front seats to the B pillar supports between the front and rear doors.
The upper clamps attach behind the padded head pads spaced off by a piece of rectangular tubing .
I remade the lower buckets to fit on top of the cross brace because it's hard enough getting your feet in that space without having a bracket hanging down.
And if you upgrade the 6.5 with 4L80 and original trans controller the relay box is also taking up some of that room behind commanders seat.

shawnshumvee

The front mounts you have shown in your last picture are the newer style.
The floor brackets mount in the same place whether you have the new or old style mounts.
The upper clamp is different between the new and old style. You have the newer style in the picture. They are adjustable.
They do keep the weapon at an angle to allow your feet to get past them.
If they were to close to the seat or door opening you would have trouble getting in and out .
The original rear mounts hung off the lower metal channel behind the front seats to the B pillar supports between the front and rear doors.
The upper clamps attach behind the padded head pads spaced off by a piece of rectangular tubing .
I remade the lower buckets to fit on top of the cross brace because it's hard enough getting your feet in that space without having a bracket hanging down.
And if you upgrade the 6.5 with 4L80 and original trans controller the relay box is also taking up some of that room behind commanders seat.
Got it. Currently i have no gun mounts in the truck. I bought the two front mounts and the rear mounts are on the way. I do have a 6.5 GEP but its married to the standard TH 400 3speed. I'm just looking to get these mounts installed in the correct/original locations and place some M16A1 replica's in the slots just for show.
Thank for all the info.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My display is a m16 training rifle (marked from Ft. Benning) not the rubber duck. It has some real parts. I got it off craigslist in Panama City Beach. I put the orange duct tape on the barrel to hopefully show it is not real. I carry it in a bag when driving and only mount when static display with permission. I do worry with current events and do not want to draw the wrong leo attention. Some of the air soft rifles now look even more real from one I saw.

I got the butt stock measurements off other trucks when I picked up one in Saraland and pics on Gp. I did try my rifle first before I drilled the holes through the floor pan.

Pics of the rear blocks with the clamps. Part number on the sideways block. Can't figure out how to straighten it here...?

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks