• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gun ring on a deuce

da_sgt

Interesting question, I don't have the answer, I know the deuce was not intented as a front line assault vehicle, but at the same time they did have the "option" of the gun ring, say the M66. The guy's here with or had the mounts will chime in I'm sure. (Twinfifty's is one, or Bill aka dieselsmoke)

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Come with, no. Was it an accessory your unit could get, yes. Ususally .50 cal, M60, or lately, M249/M240... M1919 was phased out YEARS and YEARS ago.....

twinfiftys

You are asking two different questions. The rings were not standerd equipment, however the M35s were all designed with the mounting holes to receive them. The first rings used were the M49s I believe, and the gun of choice was the 50 cal. M2HB. Following that was the M66 ring which started being used about 1969. However because of the increase weight of the ring, cab reinforcement became an issue.

Dieselsmoke

From what I have been told, the most common vehicle to get the gun ring was the M109 shop vans, which seems kinda silly to me as you don't have a full 360 degrees with that set up. There's a picture my dad took somewhere around this place of a windhield directly below the gun ring with a bullet hole dead center in the passenger windshield. My dad was driving a deuce in Korea and they started taking fire (trucks were actually parked at the time) He jumped up to man the .50, it jammed so he dropped to the floorboard just about the time that bullet came through that windshield!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of that is that the mechanics have the tools and knowhow on how to install the ring mounts, where other non wrench carrying support troops dont, and it's more of a project to do so......
Also, mechanics usually work on contact maintaince teams, where they go forward to broken combat vehicles, where the possibility of meeting up with bad guys is high.

ida34

I was in a Field Artillery unit in the late 80's early 90's. We had one deuce equiped with an M-66 and they one of two M2's for the unit. We were an Air Assault unit so lighter weapons were the norm. When I got to Korea we were on SP M109 Paladins. Every section had an M2 and a MK-19. One went on the howitzer and the other went on the ammo carrier. Alot more firepower but not air mobile.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks