• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GVWR question

det45

Probably a dumb question, but what are you guys claiming as the GVWR for the SF97 and Vehicle Registration?

I have a M35A2C w/winch, so that is 13, 530 unladen weight
5,000 lbs capacity off-road.
10,000 lbs capacity on road.

I would say the correct GVWR is 23,530 lbs, but is there any advatages/disadvantages to using the 5,000 instead of the 10,000 capacity for regstration?

dm22630

I would say the correct GVWR is 23,530 lbs, but is there any advatages/disadvantages to using the 5,000 instead of the 10,000 capacity for regstration?

MOST states charge you based on GVWR.

So.....you can put less....BUT, if you are pulled over & weighed, and you are over what your registration says.....you will be heavily fined I would think.

2cents

det45

I'm registering it as a historical vehicle here in CA, so don't have to pay weight fees. I will be moving to ID in a few years, so I guess I should do some research about ID weight fees/historical vehicles before I submit the SF97. The whole 2 1/2 ton thing threw me off.

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IL does not have a weight restriction either for antique tags. Just alot of restrictions on when and where you can drive it.
However, I have just recently discovered that a stock deuce's front bumber is 2.5 inches too high for the state of IL for any GVWR. According to the law, a deuce cannot be operated on any public roads.

dburt

In Oregon they charge you for what weight rating you want, up to 25,999 lbs. Over that and then you are in commercial truck territory and needing a CDL. My deuce is in the 22,000 to 24,000 lb range and I pay about $325 per year for truck plates. Register it for what its max GVWR is, 23,500 lbs, and when you move to Idaho, you can deal with Idaho regs then. They are usually much more easy to get along with then Oregon or California.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks