• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

H1 tail light buckets on Hmmwv?

Pstyckiewicz

I was looking at some H1 tail light buckets to replace the Hmmwv buckets. Reasons why you say. The fact that it has the integrated reverse lights and the lights seem to be cheaper.

Any pictures and experience would be greatly appreciated.

Pstyckiewicz

Well I got the old buckets out because they were trash. The tail lights were also junk. I think the buckets are around $15 each and there are a few different universal tail lights that seem like they would wor.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search YouTube for JerryRigEverything and his HMMWV EV conversion. He ended up using H1 buckets and lights. He said they "just fit", once you buy the buckets and lights.

Pstyckiewicz

I have been looking at some universal led tail lights but I’m having trouble finding ones that are 24v rated. I have found some china made stuff that states it’s 12/24v rated but I’m not sure if that’s correct. Question for any electrical savvy people out there. Would a 12v LED tail light work in the 24v Hmmwv system? Any help would be great.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been looking at some universal led tail lights but I’m having trouble finding ones that are 24v rated. I have found some china made stuff that states it’s 12/24v rated but I’m not sure if that’s correct. Question for any electrical savvy people out there. Would a 12v LED tail light work in the 24v Hmmwv system? Any help would be great.
That depends entirely on the LED driver.

Some are capable of dealing with a range of voltage input. Some say they are, but don't last long when used higher than 12V nominal systems.
If cost is an issue, then you can just buy 24V LED bulbs to put into the incandescent housing.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I went to NAPA and picked up some tail lights. They have 12v incandescent bulbs. I ordered some 24v led lights to replace the bulbs. Thinking this will work and last?. They fit perfectly in the H1 buckets. NAPA Truck-Lite #LIT5040273
Once all the bulbs are 24V I see no reason why this wouldn't be a good, lower cost solution.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For LED bulbs and blinker issues they can now be had with a resistor in the bulb base. Much better choice then wiring in resistors (ugly) to give a load to the blinker controller (Anti hyper flash). I used these types of bulbs on my motorcycle for a clean install. You'll pay more but it's a plug and play.

I also found on my M998 with originally incandescent bulbs I could run reg very bright 12v/24v LEDs in the rear of the truck and the blinkers worked fine but not when I tried to add in LEDs to the front lights.

Mark

Mark

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For LED bulbs and blinker issues they can now be had with a resistor in the bulb base. Much better choice then wiring in resistors (ugly) to give a load to the blinker controller (Anti hyper flash). I used these types of bulbs on my motorcycle for a clean install. You'll pay more but it's a plug and play.

I also found on my M998 with originally incandescent bulbs I could run reg very bright 12v/24v LEDs in the rear of the truck and the blinkers worked fine but not when I tried to add in LEDs to the front lights.

Mark

Mark
That's where I'm at now. I put TruckLite taillights in and the signals flashed fine, but after I put the TruckLite front turn signal assemblies in, they worked properly with the light switch in STOP LIGHT, but did not flash with the switch in SER DRIVE 🤷‍♂️. I read a work-around somewhere - take the bulb out of the turn signal lever in the cab, and when that bulb is out they flash normally in all switch positions.

So that's how I'm running now - no green light in the signal lever.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks