• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

H1 wheels on M1028

Skinny

This original thread is a few years old, not sure why the resurrection but I'll throw out my 2 cents.

One, if you are running spacers you should have definitely already researched the implications like quality, material, maintenance and legality in your state. You probably should have also done some due diligence on the tires you plan on running with the H1 wheels as price typically becomes the selling point and you are about to spend a lot of money to make a cheap set of wheels/tires work on your rig. There are advantages but you should also be aware of the disadvantages.

Two, the talk about flipping wheels over and such offered absolutely no disclaimer about being dangerous and illegal. I'm not sure anyone in their right mind would do this on a road driven vehicle. Modifying rims is illegal to the DOT and dangerous if done incorrectly. I'm not saying don't do it but I personally would not just throw that out there without saying this is an offroad only mod.

cucvrus

I did not pass the bar so I will not claim or deny the legality of my Sons modification. But he ran the truck back and forth from PA to Camp Lejeune for about 2 years and he had no problems. So all's well that ended well. He has 24 bolt HMMWV wheels BFG Baja claws now with spacers. It was just that I had 4 complete sets of brand new Bias ply tires and wheels and he wanted them and I gave them to him. 16 tires was a terrible waste. He ran them off road and on road with no problems. Really I have no dog in this fight. I was just looking thru old pictures and wanted to see if any one else was as absent minded as we were. Like I said you do your thing and we can do ours. I don't recall telling anyone to do this. I was just making friendly chat like hobby guys do. Happy Holidays.

Skinny

I don't think you have to pass the bar to realize that friendly hobby chat has been passed when you tell people that running rims backwards is OK. This is how bad things happen because someone with lesser knowledge saw it on the internet:

He ran them off road and on road with no problems

cucvrus

IDK and like I said. I was looking at old pictures. Really is this how it is? The tires lasted about 5K miles and were shot. I know he burned thru all 4 sets in no time at all. I still have 1 set of the rims. But as far as I know he had no problems. Seemed to be the thing to do for him. mine was stock as always and he wanted to be different. First he ran 20" aluminum rims. he did not like them and sold them. he started running the HMMWV rims because I had them and had no other use for them. A friend ran a set of them on the rear of his 2WD F350 diesel and they worked great. His were not reversed. But it is done with. I just wanted to share it in friendly chat. Nothing more nothing less. Have a great day. And let's just put it to rest. It was only chat and I had pictures to prove it. I really don't like the HMMWV tires that he is running now. They cribbage the fenders on hard flex and hill climbing. What's the point? I followed with the Goodyear LT 23585R16 Duratraks. That is why I always say in the video. I will go get the Silverado and he says "yea right" cause that is what I used to tow him home every time he broke something. He bought that truck when he was 15 years old and has been running it hard ever since. Mr Crusty. happy Holidays. And forget I mentioned it. Good Greif. Some other people just enjoyed the video. I will have to post a disclaimer on YouTube.

Special T

Running hummer wheels backwards will add a lot of stress the wheel bearings on the front end.

In Washington state it is legal to read center Hummer wheels for on road use. There is a high level of liability. Many places will sell you the kit but won't do the work.

cucvrus

Well we are past that. The wheels he had are some where unknown now. They may be in the scrap pile. I know he wore the tires out and then moved onto something else. They worked great while he had them. Saved a lot of money. The front axle is still the same one. it has been serviced quite a few times since then and has a new locker in it now. Onto something different and ever changing. The power of youth. These were not re-centered just on backwards. Thanks for your input. Have a Happy Holiday.

cucvrus

https://youtu.be/cWHmYOaHh5w
I was looking at Youtube and saw my Sons M1028A1 with the reversed HMMWV wheels. This has been controversial in the past. But he ran that truck back and forth from Camp Lejeune twice a month for 3 years. Burned thru 4 sets of the old bias ply Goodyear Wrangler MT tire. Wanted to share the Mudfest at Trevorton PA. Enjoy. I am showing for the deep dish look of the HMMWV wheels on the CUCV. We made a few special holes for valve stems and welded the original ones shut. They rode fine on the highway but were very noisy and wore out quickly. I seen hundreds of them brand new with wheels at one dump we were at back in 2010. I was able to get 4 new sets. Better to use them up then to waste them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks