• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

H2 rim on m998

mreuss222

Hello Guys.
I'm new to the hmmwv. I've had 5 tons for a few years and just bought my first m998.
When i bought it the seller had stock h2 rims. I was told it was just a bolt on.
I had them powder coated tires mounts . and guess what. they don't fit over the hub. close but no cigar..
Has anyone fitted these rims on their rig? if so how? I'm guessing milling off a little bit or a wheel spacer or a grinder..
Would like to know what people have done and how it went? any pointers?
also if spacer which one? Seems the easiest to do. smallest i see is 1.5 inch spacer.
Perfect world i would like to go no spacer.
Would love some feedback .
thank you15985608850843632075136427738544.jpg1598560949334601706284379799111.jpg

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the HMMWV uses lug centric rims, those H2 rims look hub centric (I think the H1 was also hub centric, the flat lug seating area is why I say this)) so you'd have to find a lug centric to hub centric spacer to make them work. Issue here is that yes, you'd end up with them spaced out a bit from where they should be.

Taking them to a machine shop to have them milled out might be the best option.

I'm not a wheel guy or machinist, so just going off what I believe to be correct.

mreuss222

So the HMMWV uses lug centric rims, those H2 rims look hub centric (I think the H1 was also hub centric, the flat lug seating area is why I say this)) so you'd have to find a lug centric to hub centric spacer to make them work. Issue here is that yes, you'd end up with them spaced out a bit from where they should be.

Taking them to a machine shop to have them milled out might be the best option.

I'm not a wheel guy or machinist, so just going off what I believe to be correct.
Thank you for your input.
I hope someone that has the same rims chimes in with what they did.
I did find of old post that talked about grinding it down. But would like a little insight on that.
Not sure if a machine shop would work on it with the tires on .
All on with balancing beads also.
Would be a pain to do it all again.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
While not much... would one have the necessary edge distance to support the stud bolts from cracking out to edge?. How about the back side fit up with surface area. Rims strong enough for rating of a HumV?

Not something one could "chuck up" in the ol lathe.

Not looking to poo on a cool looking wheel parade, CAMO

mreuss222

While not much... would one have the necessary edge distance to support the stud bolts from cracking out to edge?. How about the back side fit up with surface area. Rims strong enough for rating of a HumV?

Not something one could "chuck up" in the ol lathe.

Not looking to poo on a cool looking wheel parade, CAMO
Well it's been done before.
Seems to be a stout rim.

Attachments

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't own a HMMWV but I have gone through my own wheel fitment issues. I only see 2 options for you; have someone machine the hub bore larger or have someone machine the lip on the spindle smaller.

Good luck... I feel your pain.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Years ago, I placed Lexus rims on a Saab 900. I brought the rims to a machine shop where they placed them on a lathe and milled out of the center area for $20 apiece.

That is my suggestion for you now. Take to a machine shop and have them mount on a lathe and mill out the centers to the exact dimensions necessary.

Easy and cheap and effective and should give you exactly what you want.

Do not use a grinder as if you are off-center you will really create a problem for yourself with wheels hop.

And FYI... NEVER assume parts are correct prior to doing a dry fit BEFORE you paint and such.