• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Had a visitor yesterday

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings gang. Some of you may have heard of Bjorn Brandstedt. He writes a lot of articles in MV Magazine and has an M49 without the tank but has a Hiab knuckle boom on the truck. He paid me a visit yesterday. Drove the truck all the way from SW Virginia to Wayne Harris' place in SE Georgia then to my place in S Florida. While he was at Wayne's he picked up my 10KW parts genset, a rear door for my semi trailer and a steel topper for my pickup. Wanna talk about a useful tool! That K boom is it! Not only did he offload my stuff without lifting anything more than a chain, he also loaded a 6.2 diesel and placed it right on a dime in the back of his truck. He got an M105 from me and it had one 11:00x20 and the other a 9:00. He offloaded his spare with the crane then picked of the side of the trailer and we swapped the tire. Generally the crane can do anything. There was a Data plate on the crane indicating it's use for the M35 trucks. I'm telling you guys, the military missed the target big time by not having these things on the trucks. Its totally useful. Attached find a photo of the crane fully extended. Also in sight is my M275A2 tractor, M447 semi trailer and M887 contact maintenance truck. Also visible off to the left is the semi trailer door, steel topper and genset.

Monster Man

very cool, I'd love to see the pic as well :burger: (not sure what this guy eating the burger is about though <<<)

had I known you'd meet up with him I'd have asked you to personally thank him, I've learned a TON from his wonderful articles in MVM and look forward to more

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That jerk from the Sheriff's office is always there when I am. I just can't shake him. I'm hoping that in 4 years I can break his bond on me and just sit at home and collect a pension.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry Robert! I can tell you that I'm not but it would be a lie! Man's got to do something for a living! Truth of the matter is I got tired of working for a living so I took this job. Yes I work for the Infamous or is that Notorious Broward County! Ladies and Gents of Steel Soldiers, please don't hold this against me!

Longhunter7

Kenny!

We won't hold it against you if you do use a favor![2] [/2][blue] [/blue]

When things get to the critical stage, we need you to be the one who brings out the flag! :skull: :freaked:

Desert Rat

LH,
I second your motion heartily!!!!! Kenny, I wouldn't hold it against you at all, just remind you every once in a while :jumpin: :freaked: :scool: :smilewinkgrin: :lol: .

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a few more pics Bjorn took on his venture to FL.
http://imageevent.com/cranetruck/deucefloridatrip

Pretty cool! Disregard the fat dude that shows up in a couple of the pics. He's that idiot from the Sheriff's Office that won't get off my back. On the other hand, the little guy wearing the field jacket liner is my associate in the MV collecting field. He supervised all of the onloading and offloading operations.

stefos

Hi Kenny

I have some other pictures of Bjorn's truck. I think they are from a meeting somewere. Do you want them? This post contains the two types of Deuce I like most. The flat bed crane truck(I have to build one) and the top of the list M756. I am in love with M756s. So it is nice that now I can put a face to the lucky man who ouns one.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny you mention that. I rather like the V17A/MTQ that you have. I have a bunch of pics ofBjorn's trucks and a link to his website. The truck is so very useful.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Lance! You wanted to thank Bjorn for his articles? Now you can personally! He has signed up to be a member on Steel Soldiers. I'm sure he'll be posting shortly! Be warned though, he's a smart guy!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings,
Returned a few days ago from a very interesting and long trip in the deuce. I was looking for some info on the newly aquired M103A3 trailer (many thanks to Kenny for this) and happen to see a reference to the steelsoldiers forum. :eyes: Looked like fun so here I am.
Have to get used to the multitude of options...

Perhaps this should be a new topic, but I'd like to list a few observations from the trip:
1) A top speed of 55-60 mph is ok and only presented a slight problem during merging with highway traffic at times.
2) Vibrations are bad for light bulbs. Having driven almost 4,000 miles during the last five weeks or so, 3 marker light bulbs and one head light failed. A gradual change over to led's is in the works.
3) Keeping the pedal "to the metal" for hours on end was hard on the old leg and I frequently shifted to my left foot to rest my right leg.
4) Noise level is high and the VIC-1 intercom headset was used a lot for hearing protection and also to listen in on the CB. Couldn't talk on the CB, too much background noise. I have purchased a noise cancelling mike and will try it on the next trip (Aberdeen?).
5) Only spotted one (1) HMV during all this driving, a CUCV.

Cheers,

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome my brother and friend Bjorn. Glad to have you aboard. I guess I failed to tell you that i'm part of this forum. Welcome and we look forward to your insight. We do have a good size contingent of folks here that make mods on their deuces. You will certainly feel welcome here.

Longhunter7

Bjorn!

Welcome to Steel Soldiers!

I find your articles in Military Vehicles Magazine very informative, and it is an honor to have you aboard! [thumbzup]

I am almost done installing a VIC-1 in my Deuce! It should make a big difference when driving! Thanks for the information to help with the project! :roll:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, fellows! I almost always work alone so it's good to have company.
My son, Adrian (17) and I used the VIC-1 intercom for last years's trip to Aberdeen and we could converse fairly normally and we drove open cab to boot.
Keep in mind that the AM-1780 amplifier/junction box does not have any reverse polarity protection so be extra careful when connecting to battery. I have the MX-7777 surge protector and plan to install it to safeguard the electronics.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks