• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

had anyone built a hmmwv/hummer?

dc3coyote

JD, Personally I would not do it. Two reasons one I am not a fan of the hmmwv, and two its going to be a kit car, the die hard enthusiasts will know and spot that from a mile away.

What I would do is make it a long term project, and build one. Your end result will prob cost as much as buying one allready done, but it will be yours. Every little flaw in it will be what makes it special.
Most of the parts are fairly cheap (on a hmmwv scale) You can find the individual parts cheap enough to make it worth it if your patient. I would take the time and do my upgrades to it as well add some lockers, better suspension, air compressor, more powerfull engine..etc, etc
Building it is a semi advanced project, but be patient and ask questionswhenever your in need. I think you would really love the outcome.

Just my two cents
Branan

B3.3T

Dc3 is right. It will end up costing the same and will never be the real thing. You will forever be explaining its not a real one and that gets old. I would rather have a totally beat up piece of s*** real anything than a perfect kit.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TedG built one from surplus and new parts. Do a search, there is a thread on it from 2008/2009.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would not mess with one of those kits better to buy a real HMMWV hulk or possibly H1 and go from there. There are real HMMWV body and frames for sale. I hsve seen them for less than 10K on ebay and in the classified section here.

On another note. I like my M998 quite a bit. It is a great MV to own.

IEHMMWV

titlling totaly depends on what state you live in. If you are worried about it, i would start with a cleared title junker on ebay. you can buy everything for a HMMWV and they are a blast to fix up.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know of a titled straight body, complete HMMWV that would need all systems addressed for $12500 Not mine but let me know if interested.

Wrench Wench

:funny:That's truth.

I'd treat any vehicle acquisition the same. Is "the thing" you want "the having" of the vehicle, or "the owning" of the vehicle. I have a Crown Vic, but I don't own it. Ford still owns it, despite my having a title to it. Loads of proprietary tools needed to work on a lot of it and software inside it running it. If you just want to "have" a HMMWV, then get a Tremor. Now, you want to "own" a HMMWV, a real military vehicle, you're gonna need some garage space to rebuild one, or a fat wallet to flat out buy one.

Check that, even rebuilding one will need the fat waller.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well the body is real. It is basically a homade kit. That is why i posted it. It is the exact truck you said you wanted to build. He also has well north of 21k in the truck and can't get his money out of it due to it being a replica truck.

There are Hummer H1s rolling around with the dodge power plants in them. Most conversions go with the Duramax in H1

BLK HMMWV

HMMWV build

Buy an H1 put on HMMWV parts.
You can do what ever you want to the H1's engine . It will be a modified H1 and still be better than a kit car and accepted by most HMMWV owners and hold it's value better than a kit car.
Or
Just build what you want and say to **** with everyone else.
That's the beauty of this country.

BH

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks