• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Haeter core help

dave wells

my heater core busted so i got a new one from oreilly it was a pos it was aluminum and to small but they keep sayin it will work it jus after maket so i put it in next day it busted to (did keep recept so i can return it for full refund) but my ? is has anyone used the heater core from napa it looks like the original and has measurement almost identical to original but i dont want to order it and have same problem can anyone help???

Justin2839

I just installed a autozone core, and it worked fine. I did have to grind the strap a little to clear the lines good. Make sure it is ordered for a vehicle without A/C :) It was also made of aluminum but it was the same size.
Hope that helps a little.

K9Vic

I just installed a autozone core, and it worked fine. I did have to grind the strap a little to clear the lines good. Make sure it is ordered for a vehicle without A/C :) It was also made of aluminum but it was the same size.
Hope that helps a little.
:ditto:

I replaced one on a M1008 I bought from Autozone and you need to make sure it is the one with out A/C. Was a little tricky to install, but not difficult and took me about 1/5 hours total. I did not grab a picture of the new replacement next to the original, but if I recall the replacement was slightly smaller. So the original brackets holding the core were a close fit, but I do not recall having to grind them to work.

Attachments

Atwater

i had ordered the one from napa, looked like it would fit but was not happy with the aluminum and the fact that the core itself was narrower. found a original type new core on ebay and used that instead. i would recommend checking ebay.

pbrstreetgang

What should I check if I have recently (last week) changed both my thermostat and my heater core. The top radiator hose is not getting hot. Neither of the hoses going to the heater core are hot to the touch. The new core will put out luke warm air but that is about it.

Don't need coffee for that ride to work. I am usually wide awake and yelling ****! and brrrrr! in alternating tones and intervals

markg

What should I check if I have recently (last week) changed both my thermostat and my heater core. The top radiator hose is not getting hot. Neither of the hoses going to the heater core are hot to the touch. The new core will put out luke warm air but that is about it.

Don't need coffee for that ride to work. I am usually wide awake and yelling ****! and brrrrr! in alternating tones and intervals
top radiator hose not getting hot ever? after driving 20 minutes? if thats true you got a bad thermostat or your radiator is plugged. i have seen the heater hose outlet at the top of the intake plug up. check it. put a water temp gage on the truck if you can. thanks. mark

hg adams

I just replaced my heater core the other day along with a new radiator. Both were from NAPA, and everything fit just fine with no installation problems. The new core makes plenty of heat, but it has only gotten down to 20 F here in the panhandle. I am curious to see how it works during a 0 F bilzzard, not that I am hoping for one.

pbrstreetgang

After trying everything that I knew, I deferred to my local firestone for help. I was told there that I had three things working against me;

1.) The cabin space that i am attempting to heat is huge and therefore puts a strain on my heater - total BS

2.) My radiator is huge and therefore holds alot of antifreeze and takes a while to heat up - again BS

and 3.) the heater outlet is on the floor vs. the dash which results in cooler feeling air and finally more BS

When I bought this truck you could microwave popcorn in that sucker, i mean it got hot.

I tried having my old Harris heater core rebuilt but I was told to scrap it, that it was no use.

Firestone told me that my upper radiator hose was indeed getting hot, but I can lay my hand on there after a 30 - 45 minute drive all day long and not get burnt - something is not right here