• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hale P250 Water pump

phil2968

How do these engines cool themselves? Do they have a radiator? What about a coolant pump? Let me guess, they use water from the pump. Close up pics of the engine?

NEIOWA

Engine is an outboard boat engine so cooling works same. A portion of the water that pump is drafting is directed thru the cooling channels of the out board.

I sell fire equipment for a living. Contacted Hale. They say no parts available. Unusually as they have parts for fire truck pumps going back for decades.

NEIOWA

That would be great. Have several for my FD that need to get into operation.

I have a number of new shortblocks will have do take look at and will post photos (not going to get done this week though).

nikvlazak123

Hello hope everyone is fine.
Does anybody knows where i could find spare parts for HAle firepump P-250 Model 1. (Original or Oem or Third party)
Thank you in advance
Nik

Hi, I belong to a railroad museum and have several of these pumps I bought years ago, and we hope to get one running for our fire patrol speeder. Is there a TM for the operation of the P-250 pump? Thanks, John

olso2098

Just finished converting mine from jp-5 /butane fuel to gas/oil mix, not too complicated. Delete the butane starting garbage, which allows room to install Johnson 55hp electric starter (way cool) buy carb rebuild kits, install , also install stock outboard fuel pump in stock location, I installed a odyssey battery and a starter button, runs great, way better than trying to pull start 55 hp
Do these have to be re-jetted (with a new carb kit) or will they run on gas with the existing jets? I understand I'll have to get rid of the propane crap. I've got two of these and I'm just wondering if the carb kits are a must.

Thanks!

anachronist

Hi.
New here - hope someone may be able to help.
Have 2 P250 pumps that I'd like to use for bushfire control (Victoria Australia).
I'd seen the info some time back about the conversion done by the guy with the Unimog, but can't locate it anymore.
Any info about converting units to gasoline would be much appreciated.
Cheers

olso2098

Anachronist -

My understanding (and limited experience) is that these units run fine on gasoline. You'll need 2 stroke oil in the reservoir of course. The only kicker is that they must be started using the propane assist. Using the propane, one of my units started with no issues whatsoever. The other needs a couple parts before I try and start it. Maybe they'll start on gasoline without the propane but my arm doesn't want to find out. I think it's just easier to keep the propane assist. Then again, there is also a tutorial somewhere detailing how to put an electric starter on these units. The one that runs fine I think I'll leave alone; the one that doesn't might get modified. If I do modify it, I'll post here, but it's pretty low on the priority list.

Wdr

Sorry to revive this, but if anyone is still looking to convert from propane I've seen the standard gas carburetor sets available on eBay for less than 150 for these engines as well as rebuild kits with jets, gaskets, etc.

Wdr

Sorry to say looks like prices have gone up a bit since I last looked when I was working on my pump a couple years back, but it looks like they are still available. I'm not 100% sure but If I recal correctly I believe OMC or Johnson 55 hp carburetors (and what I searched on eBay) where supposed to be compatible based on my research.

So that said:

Refurbished carbs
http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eB...417&category=177688&pm=1&ds=0&t=1496613110658

Used carbs
http://m.ebay.com/itm/1976-Evinrude...%3A75168bbc15c0aca4736075affffa160f%7Ciid%3A3

Rebuild kit
http://m.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-2-Carb...%3A7519f56d15c0abd99d0e5000fffdd57a%7Ciid%3A6

This was just a quick search, can't vouch for the sellers. I did not end up buying any kits for my pump, I simply cleaned the carbs and cut new gaskets. A little quirky but overall had no problem pull starting it. Mine did not have the propane system. It did have a variable oil pump ran by the crank case vacuum and a seperate oil reaivoir to proportion the oil into the gas.

25Eagle34

I have a Hale P250 Mod 2 that uses the propane cartridge for starting before you change over to JP5 fuel.
Does anyone know were you can buy the mini propane cartridges and I also need the pump primer that is missing from my P250.
Thanks,
Don in Auburn, CA
Cell: 530-906-6322
25eagle@wavecable.com

I am just starting to go through my pump and need to ask you guys if there is a water pump impeller, or does it use the water pressure you are pumping to circulate the cooling water in the engine? Also do you need a fuel pump, or is it gravity fed fie; system? Thanks for any help.

Wdr

The cooling water flow is diverted of the main pump impeller. As far as a fuel pump mine has a diaphragm pump ran off the crank case pressure fluctuation that proportions fuel and oil from a seperate reservoir. I don't know that it provides all that much pressure as the fuel tank sits on top of the whole pump.

My units are mod1 so I am in the clear on the jet fuel units and all of their starting issues. I was planning to use a Jerry Can to store fuel as I do not own a boat type fuel tank. Do you see any issues with that? Do I need to run the oil injection system, or can I just premix my oil into the fuel ? Where do you find 3" NHT hose ends for a suction hose? All of the ones I find in 3" NPT ends

Last edited:

Wdr

I don't believe there'd be any issue with premixing oil, I've never attempted to see how well fuel would draw without the pump though. With a proper closure a jerry can could be put on its side on top like the boat fuel tank I'd think.

For Hoses you will need to buy from a firefighting supplier. NH and NST are the same thread and what you will need, you can get fire department style hoses like on the sides of the old trucks with that thread or adapters and use standard suction hose. The discharge is 2-1/2" NH which is one of the common fire hose sizes. I got my fittings/adapters from fire hose direct, they seem to be very helpful, they will check to confirm that you undead need 3" as it's an uncommon size. NPT will mate with normal threaded pipe, or female NPSH(same thread as NPT, just not tapered) standard hose fittings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks