• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Halftrack door Armor

Speedwoble

In WWII, My grandfather was a tank mechanic. After the war, he bought a surplus halftrack and used it on the farm. They removed most of the armor on it and some was cut up and welded into other equipment. However, we just found both doors intact and complete, though the hinges are rusty. What is a set of doors worth? Trying to figure out if it is worth saving them from the scrap and hauling them back to PA with me.

Attachments

Last edited:

68t

I would buy them if the shipping will not be very high, but if you can sell at a good price i will take them, send me a pm for price, I don,t know what they worth eather, They will bring a much better price that scrap. I own 4 halftracks, and going to start resto on another one. so hang on to them.:beer:

TedG

I am always impressed with WWII steel/armor. It can sit outside for 60 plus years and is not even pitted! Thanks for saving them and the other pieces in the pile.

waayfast

Half tracks are high on my list of favorite vehicles---------- some day:( maybe I can end up with one!

Which brings me to the thought that SOMEDAY this stuff will be so rare (and I will use the example of the WWII warbirds) that we will be wishing we would have saved every last tattered little bit of these no matter how small or what kind of shape.

I know of a little pile of bits and pieces of "track" armor and will do my best to talk the owner out of them. Looks to be chunks of windsheild/cowl area cut up in small pieces---but hey they got the funny little screws------

Wolfen

I know a guy who has a 1943 White M16 Halfreack for Sale. Runs good, complete Armor, with Power Steering. He also has a M45 Quad Mount on a M55 Trailer for sale. And he has a 1943 3/4 Ton Dodge Command Car for Sale. Send me a PM if interested.

Speedwoble

Firstly, I wanted to appologize for saying the "s" word (scrap). I would not let these get scrapped, but the information about the need for these parts does help convince my parents, the farm owners, to be careful with them.
Attached are more pictures of the front and back of the doors, and the other armor. Unfortunately the other armor has been torched in half, and welded into storage racks of some sort. More armor is rumored to be buried under the driveway, and lastly, some may be incorporated into a chop saw stand.

Can someone identify the other piseces in the photos?

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picture 6 is one half of the windshield armor. The pieces with the 4 bolt holes cluster spaced every several inches are rear armor plates where the machine gun trolley ring was attached. If the pieces are torched (it will be obvious) in my opinion they are scrap. Check with Gary Hebding though (Halftracks.com).

natem

Pic 5 looks like the piece that goes on side behind door. I agree with NDT on pic 6.

Any armor is worth saving, the nickel content makes it "special".

Nate

Edit: My grandson pointed out my spelling error. (don't trust spell-check)

Last edited:

M215

Looks like it was originally a M2 updated to M2A1. Pic #2 of the armor pile shows the mounting holes for the early skate rail. Pic #1 of the complete haftrack shows evidence of the pulpit mount above the windsheild armor. Early style rear idler tension springs and fender mounted head lights. Wow, great pics and story, thanks for sharing.
I paid $500 for the set of doors on our halftrack, that did not include any hardware, just the stripped armor.

littlebob

I wish I had more property, I could have saved some other vehicles and parts till they went up in value. I've learned anything older than me has a value to someone. The internet makes it a little easier, but we didn't have it at the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks