• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Halftrack frame

waayfast

I'll put this here because we dont have a Halftrack section---I may be able to get a half track frame.It doesn't have much left but I still don't want it going to China in 4' chunks! HAS:winch and winch bumper,steer axle,steer box,running boards,drive axle,right side bogies set-up (from the VERY nice road wheels to to frame),rear idlers with "out side"wheels missing .Does NOT have:engine,trans,Transfer,dropin in drive axle,ANY body at all.Question: Anyone on here venture a guess as to what this weighs so I can plan transport needs.This frame is VERY nice shape-not welded,repaired etc,most paint still on it ,surface rust only(and VERY little of that!)Thanks folks, Jim

paulfarber

Does it have a WINCH or a ROLLER?

If complete either would be worth something... the rest of the frame not so much.

As for weight, I would say plan about 3-4k or more. I would check for square and straightness.

Gary's Halftrack Parts check here for more info.

waayfast

The front end is in the bushes so its hard to see well but the winch and bumper all look complete.Also there is one track and a couple of combat wheels with tires that I'm guessing belong to the 'track cuz they were lying pretty close to the frame.Also there is an OHV International 6 cyl engine (BIG) with bell and trans sitting loose on the rear of the frame--dont know if the prev. owner was gathering parts for a repower or if it just ended up there.That does make me wonder if this may be a IH 'track though.Is there anyway to determine if this is a IH, going by whats left? Thanks, Jim

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at the front axle, the IH has a different type than the "split" Timken of the White. Sounds like weight may be around 8K. The engine in the IH is a Red Diamond and it will say that cast into the block. It is overhead valve. The IH will have 9.00-20 front tires and the White is 8.25-20. Worthy save, someone may have a cut up frame not worth fixing.

waayfast

NDT ,Thanks--The engine looked to have a small diamond cast into the left upper side of the block.The diamond had something within it but I didnt look close.Engine did not appear to be OD green though.There was an oil pan that had OD green paint on it leaning up against the frame--seem to be a different shape(deeper and big drain plug off center)than the one on the engine.I will try to get back for a closer look--I will try to get pics and pay attention to the steer axle and see what size those tires were on those combat wheels.HHHHMMMM would my 9.00x 20 wheels/tires from my M35 gasser bolt on the front---at least I would have three corners rolling to move it onto a trailer.Yep I think the winch and bumper alone make it worth going after---problem is though I'm really running out of time-- the WHITE DEATH is coming fast!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6 hole Budd deuce wheels will bolt right up. It is unlikely the engine would be any factory or military color after 60? years of civilian use. Good luck with the recovery.

68t

if it a good price buy it . the winch should be a tulsa, if it ih the frame should be stamped with numbers, about left from wheel, like m9 a1, also if its a white , diamond t or autocar m3 m3a1 m16 or m15a1 will be stamped on the frame too. if the engine ih and updraft cab. and manifold, it most like is the engine for that frame, sound about 4 ton, i don,t thing a car trailer will haul all of it., most halftracks complete are about 8 1/2 ton up. we use a 10 ton trailer to haul my halftracks. i got 4, but only one restored for parades, so have fun. :-D

Blythewoodjoe

If it is as little there as you say, the weight will be very low. I would guess under 4000. If all the armour is gone, the weight will be low. It sounds like a lot less than what my half track had when I got it and it didn't weigh any where near 8000. Still, it's just a guess. The frame is light like a truck and with out a drive train or armour, it will be light. I can pick one up I have that sounds like what you describe with my excavator (one end at a time) and I can't pick up over 2000 with it.

Save it. There are people out there that would love to have it. I wouldn't pay over a few hundred for it.

waayfast

Went down to check it out more and take pics(will down load off camera later).Yes: tulsa winch,split style steer axle,15 feet from center of steer to center of rear idler.Found 4 combat wheels-3 are 8.25/20 and one is 11.00/20.Has steering box to steering wheel and foot pedals.The engine sitting loose on the back of the frame DOES say RED Diamond but the other evidence leads me to believe this is not a IH 'track:cry:There are some other goodies there(truck frames and a CCkw 353),sounds like i could use my 16 foot flatbed to haul the 'track frame home and use other resources to haul the other stuff with.Thanks for the info and support.Jim

davy

half track frame

i wuold like to buy the frame that you have please call me davy 19175676419 . or trade you some thing i have a lot of good things

waayfast

No word yet from the owners--was shown this stuff by a fella that does'nt own it--looks more and more like a looong shot at best:cry:.SWORDMD thanks for the info--always thought I'd like to have a 'track--so if I do get the pieces I'll probly keep 'em and look for more pieces.Then someday----------.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks