• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ham Radio Operators / Steel Soldiers

n1bnc

Congrats indeed! 6 meters was open to Europe this weekend and I could hear them while mobile! The rest of the bands were bouncing along nicely too!

Hope to see you on the air! BTW, I will be portable PY4 in a week or so. Look for me on 20 meters.

Hightechken

Congratulations on the upgrade Nate, at only 183 miles between us, We could talk two meter SSB 9 days out of ten, And two meter FM every time there is an opening across the lake, Which in the summertime is frequent! String up a 75 meter dipole and you will have great coverage all around the area. Doesnt need to be high, Use the military formula of NVIS for close in coverage.

HoJoPo

KC7DRT (dirt, it was my sequential assigned call back in '94) here, M1010 to motorhome / radio shack conversion in progress.

I have the mobile mount / power cabling for my Kenwood TS-2000, along with the remote control head so I can operate it while driving. I have a 2M antenna to mount where the spotlight was in the middle front of the cab roof, and a Lil' Tarheel II screwdriver to mount where the military mount is, for HF use.

Now I just need to get busy and mount / install / test everything. :)

Hightechken

The Kenwood TS 2000 has to be the best "Bang for the buck" do it all radio available today! And with the simple mod done they will transmit (In an emergency situation only of course) On the marine band, VHF and UHF commercial bands, Military freqs, etc. Only downside I found was they do not go up into the GMRS/FRS bands for transmit.
Using the crossband repeat feature you can talk HF from a little hand held out of the truck remote via UHF.

HoJoPo

If I buy the new Kenwood digital HT (with the built in TNC and GPS capability, it's on the cover of QST this month), it has SkyCommand II and can not only use the crossband repeat, it gives full remote control of the HF side of the radio via a handheld. They make a mobile rig that has SkyCommand too.

But, I'm not sure I'd use it enough to make it worth the money... for the same cost, I could get a Yaesu FT-817ND, which I've been yearning for... though I'm not sure why. ;) And I already have a 12 year old Alinco DJ-G5TH handie that works great (and handles the GMRS/FRS freqs too).

If I really get ambitious, figuring out a mobile satellite antenna setup (or at least portable that can be set up on site) with azimuth / elevation rotors would be fun too, the TS-2000 is not a half bad satellite rig.

My next purchase may be the controller to have the Kenwood directly control the screwdriver, for optimal tuning.

I have a Dell Latitude D630 laptop with Signal Link USB to interface a computer to the radio as well, and the space to use it. My M1010 had been a search and rescue mobile command post right after it left military service, so it has a nice little table along the driver's side wall, and no bench / stretcher carrier on that side. I have a 12V power supply for the laptop, so I can use it without having to run a generator... for a while anyway.

I also have a Radio Shack Pro-2006 400 channel 25mhz-1.3ghz scanner for monitoring outside the amateur bands, just need to find a good mobile antenna for it. And a Cobra 40 channel CB, because sometimes CB comes in handy (CB is going in the cab though.)

The rear battery tray has a pair of Optima red tops in it for 24V, the front battery tray will have a pair of Optima deep cycle blue tops mounted for running accessories in the back (including the radios, laptop, and an Engel freezer/fridge). I already have a battery isolation relay and cables, just need to get the blue tops.

Hightechken

I have never done much of anything with Sky Command, I just use the simpleton cross band repeat with my TS 2000.
(I have done some remote control of older Icom radios, 2410H)
For cross band repeat operation, It is best to have a dual band hand held so you can control and monitor both your cross band input and output frequencies. Right now my favorite is the little Yaesu VX3 shirt pocket size. They receive all the commercial police, marine, fire, ham, GMRS/FRS, etc etc. So a another scanner receiver is not even needed. I keep the little hand held on scan all the time to receive all that stuff, Plus, It receives commercial FM broadcast, So you can listen to music or FM voice talk shows between other transmissions!

HoJoPo

My Alinco is a dual band / dual VFO HT, so it should work fine with the crossband repeat like you described.

Something about the controls on the Alinco make me favor it over newer radios, though it just may be familiarity. It doesn't quite have as wide a receiver, no broadcast FM, but it does have AM receive for aviation bands, and I can listen to 108-174 and 420-480 MHz.

natem

This weekend at the GLMVPA Show and swap Clare Mich. we will have a station set up. Listen for us on 40 meter at 7.250.00 +or- LSB on a NVIS antenna. I look forward to some Steel Soldiers contacts in the great lakes region.

Nate KD8GOW

Last edited:

JHoot51

Banned
Ham Radio equipment

I am looking for tube type ham equipment for my vehicle?
Building a Faraday cage to house it in just to be safe!!
Anybody know where equipment like this can be found

SFGABN@5th

Wish me luck im taking my test on the 28th Hope someone will get a net going and be the NCS.

Im on an old prc-70 and looking for any code operators .

Is there A Call sign list with Locations.

Is ther anyone with probagation charts.

Has anyone Put together a manual incryption system.

Kevin

US army retired

05B4S
05C4P
31Y4P

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll work on something for the site as far as a call sign list or something. Good luck on the exam!

Will be applying for a vanity call sign within a month or so. My 2x3 technician call sign is pretty lame, and doesn't roll off the tongue easily. Will try for a 1x3, 1x2 or 2x2 to replace it.

Hightechken

I am looking for tube type ham equipment for my vehicle?
Building a Faraday cage to house it in just to be safe!!
Anybody know where equipment like this can be found
Run a (Free) wanted classified ad on Eham:

eHam.net Home - Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Community Site

(I have an old tube type marine VHF radio that has been converted to the ham band I will sell cheap.......
I really don't think such steps will be needed. My own opinion is to just get a spare whatever kind of radio you like and store it in a steel 30 gallon size garbage can with a tight fitting lid if you are worried about EMP.

kastein

Wish me luck im taking my test on the 28th Hope someone will get a net going and be the NCS.

Im on an old prc-70 and looking for any code operators .

Is there A Call sign list with Locations.

Is ther anyone with probagation charts.

Has anyone Put together a manual incryption system.

Kevin

US army retired

05B4S
05C4P
31Y4P
Good luck! FYI, enceyption is not permitted on ham radio. All transmissions must be in a language that can be understood by those other than your intended recipient.

Hightechken

The easy cheap way to get some good privacy is to just buy a surplus radio system, That has something like DVP (Digital Voice Protection) That was sold by Motorola to police departments, etc in the 1980's and is true digital encryption. As pointed out, You cannot use such encryption in the ham bands, But you can use it in the business bands, etc as long as you I.D. your transmitter in the clear.
The older Motorola Micor series that used this stuff is selling on Ebay for a song.

Just reading about your thread and posts on Ham radios. I have a friend in Washington north of Spokane near the Canadian border who has the top license. When we were in Quartzite,AZ with him last year around 300 Ham radio operators were camped together. It was a lot of fun watching and seeing them operate their radios,etc. I found an article in a magazine that might interest some of you. Here it is: The Gunsite/Yavapai Radio Club Observe NRA Birthday Celebrate NRA's 140th birthday on Nov 17,2011 as the Yavapai Amateur Club operates a special-event broadcast station from the famed Gunsite Academy in Arizona. This FCC-licensed amateur station, using the call sign K7NRA, will operate from 8. a.m. to 5 p.m. MST on the following frequencies:7,250, 14.050 and 21.335 MHz. All amateur radio stations, especially those operated by NRA members and Gunsite alumini, are urged to participate. A unique NRA/Gunsite QSL Card will be sent to stations contacted for the event. For mor info, visit: Yavapai Amateur Radio Club. Call Sign K7NRA Hope this helps your hobby and not offending anyone by posting this story I saw in a magazine while in the doctors office. elkhunter