• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ham Radio Operators / Steel Soldiers

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
wow, what a collection. I would like to see all that stuff, despite the fact that
I am so ign'r'nt that I don't know what most of those numbers mean.
I just recently learned what an M35 is. Sure is fascinatin', though!
3 or as many as you can carry with both hands and a backpack, cheers
for the ham radio notices. I currently don't have a license but have had
off and on over more than 50 years.
Being an old geezer, I long for the old days of hand-wound coils and discrete
components, and, of course, Fleming valves. I don't quite date to crystal
xcvrs and spark xmtrs, but I have messed about, with both critters.
I think that youngsters miss a lot of fun, with all this solid state stuff.
And, yes, I do think that all hams should know Morse code.
So there!:roll:
Too bad most hams can't fix their own radios much less build one from household scraps. The people getting into ham radio today are mostly equipment operators. They have little interest in the pleasure making something they can buy. That is a shame.

Not learning code never stopped me from doing what I like with high power electronics. I don't get on the air much even though I moved my license up since the code requirement was lifted.

During the time the FCC was taking petitions and comments on the code subject, there wre many heated discussuions. The most loudly vocal group was those that desired code to remain a requirement and they gave all sorts of reasons, the most common two being "riff raff filter" and "able to communicate with almost no equipment", but the most numerous group was those that did not see a bias for one mode over another as being a valid filter of quality operators or the knowledge pool, nor would it compensate for a (non existent) shortage of phone or digital equipment.

I recall listening to many people who got their code test done, just to go to HF for long distance SSB and act like very rude gentlemen, and never even used code again. The code test never kept CB operators or lids out.

It is a great mode, and a fine hobby. Like AM with vacuum tubes and plate modulation. Sometimes I wish those (and VHF-FM) were the only modes. I have noticed that most people who run either CW or AM almost exclusively are very gentlemanly on the air. I believe that is because they respect the time honored ways.

My interests are hands-on enginering and technical work. AM mixes audio and RF directly at high power levels, and that is always a pleasure to implement. A dummy load will do for experimenting. Hopefully this year I will get a 100FT dipole up. I have been restoring some AM BC gear and an old KW Phone TX.

I prefer glass and iron but I'm not above throwing some sand and plastic in where it makes sense.

Sorry for going on about it. I feel strongly about the ham radio hobby.

I attached a couple pics - a guy over on AMFONE is breadboarding a transmitter. 1500 Volts baby!

Attachments

Last edited:

DUECE-COUPE

An/grc 106

I have a complete set to include 2 power supplies and don't use it. If any one is interested i would be willing to trade it for something i can/ do use.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a complete set to include 2 power supplies and don't use it. If any one is interested I would be willing to trade it for something i can/ do use.
What do you have in mind? although shipping could be very costly on 360 LBs of gear.

Do you dislike anything about the GRC-106?

The most common operator complaints on the GRC-106 /A are:

1.) the cooling fan sounds like a vacuum cleaner or a tornado

2.) the unit for sideband use has only USB, no LSB (unless you buy the $300 custom filter from the Japanese guy)

3.) the radio has no noise blanker

Can anyone add more from theri experiences?

I have two sets. Personally these complaints don't bother me. It's all part of having a 400 watt HF rig you can operate in the freezing rain or 100 degree sun.

m38inmaine

I have a 106 in my tty shelter and agree on the noise. The early RT-662 did have a noise blanker, later models did away with it. I use mine for tty and voice, mostly on the various military group nets, have had good signal reports. Besides the weight of the equipment the only other negative is the amount of power required to operate them compared to other radios.

kc7eqo

I am KC7EQO, a Ham since 1994 and a Extra Class. Love radio and I am starting to get into Military equipment. Lots of fun! :-D

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello!
My name is Jeff and I've been WD4IHS for over 32 years now. I'm proficient in Morse code and have been repairing all types of electronics for over 35 years. Yesterday I acquired a 1950 Hammarlund Amateur Receiver that I'm currently working on! It's so cool it would've made Steve Irwin say; "Crikey" because "She's A Real Beauty"!
I'll let you go for now.
73's
Jeff :)
WD4IHS

www.ifaw50.com
www.drycreekcustoms.com
www.jeffsauctionemporium.com
Hello Jeff, welcome to the ham radio section, or topic as it might be. In the menu, there is a forum for electronics, but not specifically for radiocommunications. I wonder also if that could be added?

Also hi KC7EQO!

Last edited:

littlebob

I've read through all the threads briefly. How much money are we talking about? I'm not looking for another full time hobby, but I would like another way to communicate. What would be a good starter radio when I pass the test. Once into the hobby, I'm sure I'll want to find green stuff!

maybefixit

Littlebob,
If you want to talk on the 2m FM band, a Yaesu VX-170 is a great handheld. Under $300 and I think often under $170 new.

For all-band coverage, I like the Icom 706 Mark II, which can be run portable or as a base radio with 100W coverage. Under $1000 including a wire antenna (I'd recommend a G5RV if you have the space) for home use.

I now have a Yaesu FT-100 but I liked the control layout of the 706 better before I sold it.

Matt KB8DDH

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't suppose you could tell me what the TPN1062A power supply is for could you? I have one but whatever it powered is long gone. looking for the schematic.

kastein

W1KAS here...

no radio in the 5ton simply because I wouldn't be able to hear it anyways, but I've got a set of PRT-4 and PRR-9 6 meter ex-mil transceivers from the vietnam era (go great with the truck!) set on 51MHz. Just need to get or construct new batteries for them.

Carl_in_NH

W1KAS here...

...I've got a set of PRT-4 and PRR-9 6 meter ex-mil transceivers from the vietnam era (go great with the truck!) set on 51MHz.
We should start a local, weekly net on 51.00 NFM to exercise some of this gear. I've got a good clear shot for VHF and above from home down your way.

kastein

Sounds good to me, though they only put out about half a watt and have lousy antennas (helmet mounted RX and handheld TX) it should be fine for Wilton to Worcester, especially if you hit Monadnock or I head for Mount Wachusett.

Used to go camping in Greenfield State Park with the family every summer, wish I could find a tech/EE type job somewhere up there.

jamieboy

Hey guys, kd4nxy here. been a ham for almost 20 years. have been collecting green radios almost as long.
No MV to put one in yet ,but working on that also. Just got my general class last year and have started doing
some HF. Going to try and get to the Georgia Rally and hope to meet some other hams, as well as all the other
SS friends.

Wrench Wench

N9... I can't remember. I got a no-code tech ticket over a decade ago and then never used it for lack of funds with which to buy a rig, or parts to make one. I'm studying the ARRL 2010 Handbook with the ambition to do all three of the prevailing ticket tests in a single sitting.

timass1

We should start a local, weekly net on 51.00 NFM to exercise some of this gear. I've got a good clear shot for VHF and above from home down your way.
KB1TIM here I have one shelter mounted in 3/4 ton trailer and another in the garage waiting for time and hardware to convert. I just received my first MV m109a3 and looking to convert to camper/ radio shack. I live south of worcester in putnam ct. and would be interested in getting together on 6m. I just have a prc-77 and 1077. but would like to chat. If either of you are interested we E.C.A.R.A hold a net on Sun. evenings at 8pm on 50.190 SB. Anyway look forward to making contact. Anyone going to nearfest this Oct?

rlwm211

If your license is still active, and at ten years it should be, you can look it up. Here is a link to the FCC ULS database

License Search

Select "NAME" and enter your name (Last, first, MI) as it was when you received your license you should be able to find your call sign and get a copy of your TECH license. That would leave the General and Extra if you decide to go for them.

If you need help hollar out.

73's

RL
W2WHT

Last edited:

kastein

KB1TIM here I have one shelter mounted in 3/4 ton trailer and another in the garage waiting for time and hardware to convert. I just received my first MV m109a3 and looking to convert to camper/ radio shack. I live south of worcester in putnam ct. and would be interested in getting together on 6m. I just have a prc-77 and 1077. but would like to chat. If either of you are interested we E.C.A.R.A hold a net on Sun. evenings at 8pm on 50.190 SB. Anyway look forward to making contact. Anyone going to nearfest this Oct?
You're one of the NEARFest crew? Cool! I have gone almost every time since spring 08. I had a white mid-90s Jeep Cherokee with an airhorn on the front edge of the roof there this spring, was selling mostly QRO antenna transmatch parts (huge roller inductor, pair of huge vacuum capacitors.) I have bought a couple 813 tubes and some other stuff from the guys over near where most of the OD iron crew sets up shop every year, generally end up talking about random stuff for a while.

N9... I can't remember. I got a no-code tech ticket over a decade ago and then never used it for lack of funds with which to buy a rig, or parts to make one. I'm studying the ARRL 2010 Handbook with the ambition to do all three of the prevailing ticket tests in a single sitting.
If you need explanations or help with the EE related stuff (impedance calculations, etc) feel free to ask, I passed my Extra with approximately 15 minutes of studying as I've been into electronics for nearly two decades now. If you do a decent amount of studying/know the theory pretty well and know the regulations you will do just fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks