• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ham Radio Operators / Steel Soldiers

MadCat2

I passed my test today, only missed one so I took the General test as well- that did not go very well. I will try that one again in the future, but at least I go my license started and get to hook up my cool radio in my truck- no idea where to start and there are litterally BOOKs upon books on radios, options and features, too overwhelming if ur starting up on your own. So, 2 questions, where do you start? and im assuming you get a letter from the FCC and pick your call sign, is that correct as well?

cpf240

Congrats!

You'll get a letter from the FCC with your assigned call sign. You can also keep checking at the FCC site, http://wireless.fcc.gov and do a license search, under the licensing section on the right. Your license will show up there before you get the paper one in the mail. The people that administered your test should be able to give you a time frame for when to expect it. It mostly depends on how quick they are in filing your test results.

CUCVSRK

I'm working towrds mine and I read the manual and generally understand it but, I'm failing most of the online practice tests. Any advice?

My first thought is one of the study guides that are out there. ( I got mine from HRO) 2nd thought is a local ham radio club. A lot depends on what questions you are weak on. If there are any hamfests in the area, see if you can pick up an older ARRL Amateur Radio Handbook. It contains the basics for most electronics... At least it did, my newest is like a '90. Ask questions here. I'm sure someone can answer them.

Truckoholic

I'm working towrds mine and I read the manual and generally understand it but, I'm failing most of the online practice tests. Any advice?
One of the absolute best resources there are for ensuring that you learn and can pass the test is www.hamtestonline.com . That website is awesome because it teaches you some stuff, then drills you on questions, then teaches you some more, and drills you on more questions, and it keeps track of the questions that you were weak on, and it continues to repeat those questions until you are getting them all 100 percent consistently. It is amazing the way it is set up and works soooo much better than taking the free practice tests on Qrz.com and other websites. Because the problem is, there are so many potential questions in the question pool, and each practice test you take only has a certain number of questions, so you could take the test 500 times and might still never see all the potential questions, and without fail when you go to take the test for real, it will have some of the questions on it that you have never seen before. Ha ha. So yeah, I can't say enough good things about www.hamtestonline.com Using that website I was able to pass the Extra test 100% and that is really quite an accomplishment!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many SS members are coming to Dayton for Hamvention next week? 5/17-5/19 2013

Flyingvan911

Congrats on passing. Ham radio is tons of fun. I'm studying now to upgrade to Extra.

Here's a project I just finished. I put an Icom 706 MkII-G and a LDG AT-7000 antenna tuner in an ammo can. This way I can easily switch it between the van and the deuce and easily conceal them when not in use. It is now water tight but can be carried through a pouring rain with no trouble.

Feel free to use or adapt the design. Be sure to take the lid off when in use so the radio and tuner can get some cool air.

Attachments

Hightechken

Lots of people have had good luck by using the printed study guide that has the question pool along with the multiple choice answers. Go through the book with a highlighter and HIGHLIGHT the CORRECT answer ONLY for all questions. Then go back and simply read through the book, Reading the question, And the CORRECT answer only. Don't confuse yourself with reading the wrong answers. This is a simple, Fast, Easy way to pass multiple choice tests. GOOD LUCK! The ham exam IS worth the effort!

hspap

count me in/ willie baker 9 t y dee/ 1975 first ticket/ indy exam. 6mo. later got the b call.

prc47/hf looking for stuff in radio like/
m1010
m116a1 comm trailer i faked it,i like it.sleeps good.

hunderliggur

Fireman, too bad you are not from Baltimore. The HUN callsign would be perfect!

I am preparing for field day at W3C from the Creation Festival in PA. We 'll then volunteer for a week in a very rural area with a camp in musical festival for 50 to 75 thousand friends!

K3MHL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks