• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ham radios and this hobby, any military radios work for that?

Blythewoodjoe

Well now I have lots of info to process. Thanks everybody for the help. I will take the technician class test Saturday. It looks pretty easy to pass so now it's just a matter of learning how to use the radios and deciding what equipment to get. I assume all military surplus equipment is 24 volt. I no longer have a 24 volt truck so that will be one thing to work on.

Thanks again,
Joe Trapp

Cdub

Wow...........CONGRATS Joe...........!!! That was fast......Hahaha......

Are you going to get something GREEN or a Civi ..........?? I say " Go Green........"

Cheers,

C'dub

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thats Great Joe:
I also just downloaded the test pools and will study them. I am hoping to get up to the HF level soon so I can really DX.

Thanks for all the great info too.

Blythewoodjoe

Well I just purchased a Yaesu FT-7800R from HAMRADIO.COM. The "required" radio for our local use was a 2M and 70CM range with a 50 watt output so this model was just right for the price. The one I bought is not just for me. It will be passed around in "the group" for us all to practice and learn on. I will probably buy one soon for my personal use.

I found out today that of the 18 people that took the test with me about half of us missed "0" questions and a few missed one and a few missed two. With a little studying, it's not too hard for the techinician class. I think I will try for the general (if that's the right class) in a few months. One young man was 8 years old. I think he was the only one that missed more than 2 but still passed. They said he was the youngest in the state.

I hope to get the radio before Christmas. Let the fun begin.

Joe Trapp
KJ4IIM

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks