• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hand Crank Deuce

Crawdaddy

I keep reading that the multifuels in deuces bump start super-easy with the slightest provocation. This led me to wonder, did the military ever create a manual hand-crank starting kit for the multifuels? Seems like you could take something like a 3/4 drive rachet or the like with a long handle and whip the crank at the front fast enough to start the engine. It'd give an alternate method of starting the truck if the starter goes out. Many apologies if this has already been covered.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
At 22:1, you'd have a hard time doing so.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's the time have to do with starting it?

tm america

Well if you started at 12 o clock and pulled the ratchet to 6 o clock rapidly it might start ...or it might slip of and crack your melon..Then you would end up in the er before 5 o clock?OH you might make it easier to start if you messed with the ip timing..so i think time has alot to do with it:jumpin:

wbdodgeiv

I've started one by jacking up the tandems and making a ramp a few feet long out of the cribbing I had in the back. A field expedient hill for roll starting.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now I see....:idea:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I have a LITTLE experience hand cranking old gasoline powered farm tractors.:cool:

Ain't no way in the world I'd try to hand crank a MF deuce. :lol:

I'm kinda attached to my hands and armsrofl

Besides...I ain't built like superman.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've hand cranked a few old tractors but they were all small 4 cylinders. Don't believe I'd want to try a big diesel. If you've ever cranked an old tractor and had it kick back on compression you'll know what I mean. I'm figuring a multifuel would break your arm.

Crawdaddy

I was suggesting using a rachet to avoid the compression recoil and to allow to get the handle off once the engine started. I remember reading that ferro was being really careful when rotating the engine to change belts because he was afraid it'd start, so I figured it would be possible to purposefully turn the engine to start it. Hopefully I'll never have to worry about finding a backup method to start the deuce.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, the compression will still kick back on you using a ratchet. Tractor hand cranks have a ratchet of sorts that releases the crank when the engine starts. The compression kicks back in the opposite direction though so the ratchet won't prevent it.

ODdave

I would almost think it would be easier to push start it......I am jelous if somone has a MF that starts so easy you have to be carefull changing the belt !

Capt.Marion

get the truck pointed down hill
put it in 4th gear, high range
push in the engine stop lever
let off the brake and let her start rolling down the hill
slowly let out the clutch as you roll
as the engine catches, mash the clutch back in.

End result: 1 running deuce.

tm america

I've pull started mine before.Pretty easy.When it starts you just hit the brakes and the person knows really quickly its time to stop...Push starting would get as ugly as the ratchet start trick

davidkroberts

ive heard about Gama Goaus starting with a stiff breeze from other posting on this board. I have pull started mine after the magnetic switch to the starter failed. I had it running in about 5 feet from an easy roll. Started like a charm