• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hand engraved data plate on LMTV?

I've been looking at a lot of M1078 lately searching for the best one to go after.

I'm considering several, but I had a question on the data plate on one of them. They have all had stamped text on the data plates up to this point, but this one has hand engraved text on it instead of stamped text. The texted is readable, but it is not engraved very deep. The plate looks weathered and relatively old, but it is obvious that the plate has been removed and replaced at some point.

Is this a "red flag" or is it ok? Is this type of thing common in surplus mil vehicles? I know there are a number of logical reasons that this can happen. The truck is in pretty good shape, but I don't want to pursue it if I end up having trouble at the DMV when I go to register it here in California.

Anyone else have a hand engraved data plate on their LMTV?

Thanks,
Michael

Data Plate.jpg

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had one or two while I was in. Had a truck come up with no data plate. Ordered a new one direct from the MFR and someone engraved it and had the Support Maint Co attach it to the truck.

Ukraine Train

Do they inspect the plates in CA? In Ohio they check the VIN only if the car came from out of state. Mine was already registered to a private owner in-state when I bought it so they never looked at it.

us4korea

They do check the data plate in CA. I had to go to CHP to get a VIN Verification. CHP verified the SN on the data plate on the driver's knee area panel. As well as looking at the data plate for GVRW on the door.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks